Police Arrest 83 in Mardi Gras Celebration
ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOX) — Thousands took over the streets of Soulard this weekend for the 32nd annual Mardi Gras celebration and 83 of them didn’t have the night they hoped.
St. Louis Police Officers arrested or cited 83 people giving out a total of 89 charges.
- Minor in Possession of Alcohol: 67
- General/Individual Peace Disturbance: 6
- Assault: 4
- Urinating in Public: 4
- Resisting Arrest: 3
- Assault on a Law Enforcement Office: 2 (fights where the suspects were resisting arrest and wound up hitting officers, officers had no serious injuries)
- Interfering with an Arrest: 1
- Bartering/Trading: 1 (essentially an adult gave her i.d. to an underage individual but both were caught)
- Exposing Person: 1
Police are also investigating one purse snatching, and a total of 6 vehicles were towed from the parade route.
For those interested, last year there were a total of 99 charges, 48 of which were Minor in Possession.
An estimated 200,000 people attended the weekend long event dampened by rain and chilly temperatures.
Merchants at the event say it was their best year yet. Mardi Gras is expected to bring in more that 25-million dollars to the area.
Copyright KMOX Radio