Wildwood Council Votes to Make Cold Medicines Prescription-Only

Michael Calhoun

WILDWOOD, Mo. (KMOX) – This west St. Louis County community is one step closer to requiring a prescription for cold medicines used to make the drug methamphetamine.

Cold and sinus pills containing the decongestant Pseudoephedrine would require a doctor’s permission to obtain, under a measure given tentative approval by City Council members on Monday night.

“We have neighbors to our west, to our south, who’ve all done the same,” Mayor Tim Woerther explains. “They’ve seen some promising results, in terms of the reduction of meth production and meth related crime.”

About 30 Missouri cities have adopted similar ordinances. The state already requires Pseudoephedrine to be stationed behind the counter, and for customers to log their purchases in a statewide database.

Woerther says his biggest concern is that meth labs are now being busted in automobiles more than homes.

A final vote on the measure will come next week.

Medications which do not contain Pseudoephedrine would continue to be available over-the-counter at the city’s three pharmacies.

Copyright KMOX Radio

Comments

1. Hank Warren says:

Endless gov’t regulation over everything including cold medicine, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our right:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama and sweep out the Congress.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

1. Kattrina says:

Now I have to add Sudafed to my list of hording items. So right next to my light bulbs with be my cold medicine. Anybody else hear of something our leaders will be taking away from us like maybe toilet paper to save a tree, let me know.

1. John Fox says:

DON’T FORGET LIGHT BULBS, GUNS, AMMO, FOOD, WATER, GAS, ELECTRICITY AND GOOD COMMONSENSE APPLIED WITH INTELLIGENCE! THESE THINGS ARE ON THE SOON TO BE BANNED LIST TOO. OH AND THE INTERNET TOO! THAT’S BECAUSE NO CLUE FEELS SO OUTNUMBERED AND ALONE!

2. Neuromancer says:

Round-Up. The USDA is reviewing the main chemical in this defoliant this year and there’s about a 50-50 chance it will be banned.

3. NC Born says:

Can anyone cite evidence of guns or ammo being banned? Can anyone explain what is meant when people say that the government is taking our food and water away? I must be watching the wrong channel, because I can still get everything I need (Sudafed included).

4. Pags0668 says:

Don’t forget toilets that actually flush the first time!!!

5. Orfyyn says:

Add Primatene Mist (for asthma) to the list. Latest boxes have a notice that the active chemical (epinephrine) is being banned by the FDA and a reformulated product may not be available by the end of the year when the ban starts.

6. Nate says:

To NC Born

It now takes special permits to purchase assult rifles and ammo for them and you can only fire them at special sanctioned events. For a while they were totally banned but several years ago that law was allowed to expire. You still need to pass a background check and have a pistol purchase permit to purchase any hand gun. Both of these permits allow the government to keep track of where guns are so they can be confiscated when their ready. If you don’t want to believe that then do a little homework on how other countries that don’t allow citizens to own guns started their trek down that road. You will find it very similar to what’s happening here.

7. bob says:

It’s totally unnecessary to make them prescription… just keep it locked behind glass and limit sales per identification like they do here in California. prescription? I smell a racket.

8. EMB says:

Sudafed used to be a prescription drug. It was only converted to over the counter when the patent ran out and the pharma company realized they could make more money if it were over the counter.

9. jjjJJJ says:

It’s used to make METH. Ever heard of it? Blame the hoosiers, not the govt.

10. JoSchmoe says:

You asked what did/are modern day “thinkers” thinking we should get rid of? Sugar, coffee, candy bars & candy, maybe a cigar or cigarette, copy of the current constitution, books by conservatives (or liberals-soon enough), a pet, american flag, dixie flag (for historic/heritage reasons), car, air conditioner, french fries, holy cross, antibiotics, non-chemical-surficant dishsoap (natural phosphorus type), bottle of ammonium (for natural non-bleach disinfecting…remember when?), copy of pledge of alliegance, dictionary, three wheeler, dollar bills and a little piece of paper with a word on it: “FREEDOM”. They are not our leaders, but our elected officials.

11. Jekyll Isle says:

NC – the issuance of a permit for something that the Constitution gives you a right to have should be evidence enough. But I’m willing to bet you never read it of even the Clauses have you

12. John T says:

It CAN be used to make meth, but that doesn’t mean that’s how street meth is made. If you do the math, the cost of sudafed is much higher per gram than the street price of meth, which would suggest that the producers would be losing money if they used sudafed to make meth. And then, even further, there’s the fact that sudafed is simply a synthetic form of ephedrine, naturally found in ginseng. Are we going to make ginseng illegal too?

13. David A Jones says:

Problem with that is; if they catch you with a LOT of it on hand, they have cause for considering you a potential drug manufacturer.

jonesey65244

14. Chris Smith says:

Well hoarding Sudafed is an offence in my state. If you are found with more than one or two boxes of the stuff you can be charged with “possession of precursor chemicals” I support this move all the way. Meth is a destroyer of families and a cancer. My ex wife drug me and my kids through this mess a couple years ago. It wasn’t pretty and I’m glad its over.

15. Len says:

Big Macs, ribs, donuts. Unless you can party with Moochelle.

2. outintheweeds says:

I once had a book titled “How the News Makes Us Dumb”. Notice that the article is discussing pseudophedrine, but the picture shows a product containing phenylephrine HCl; the latter cannot be made into meth. (If I were the drug company lawyer, I’d be getting ready to sue cBS.) And while we’re at it, why are “cold medicines” that can’t be made into meth also put “behind the counter”? Seems as though government and retail employees have watched a LOT of news, because they’re plenty dumb.

1. NC Born says:

I think they used a stock photo. Bad choice for sure.

3. Rob Johnson says:

Morons.

I lived in STL for three years. I hated it. Stupidest people I ever had to put up with on a daily basis.

STL is a dying city. This is the kind of stupidity that is killing it.

Don’t forget to yell BANZAI before you shove the blade in.

1. Sniffit says:

There are a lot of dumb comments here but yours has to be the dumbest.

Being the article is not about St. Louis City first and foremost makes your comment illogical, invalid and irrelevant.

Thank you for leaving and letting our collective IQ recover.

2. jjjJJJ says:

the CITY is dying because everyone is moving 20 miles out to the COUNTY. stay out.

3. Rob Johnson says:

It’s all one metro area. I know Wildwood. I lived in Clayton. Only an idiot makes a big deal about 96 little municipalities NOT constituting the STL Metro area.

I rest my case. 90% morons. Say hello to you brother in stupidity and suicide, Detroit.

4. Sniffit says:

You said specifically St. Louis CITY so don’t change your mind now.

Only a moron like you (or Bush) would deal in such vague generalities. To take a metropolitan area that is growing strongly, particularly in St. Charles and Washington and compare it to a city. Why not compare where you live to the entire state you’re in.

The metro area is #15 in the US, with a 5% rise over 2000 – hardly dying. It’s growing faster than NY, Boston, San Jose and on pace with Chicago and Philly (all still bigger). Detroit, who you cite has decreased in population.

Stats & facts don’t seem to be your friend. So go whine elsewhere Rob Trollson

5. Dominican Mama 4 Obama says:

Snifit:

dont mind RJ he’s just off his meds today (as usual_

4. BOb says:

Because clearly criminals making meth are going into their local drug store for their supplies…… this is idiotic. Law-abiding people pay once again because government doesn’t understand a damn thing.

1. Dan says:

I live in STL County and the criminals are going to local drug stores for their supplies, BOB. A lot of times they pay people to go to all the pharmacies and buy it for them.

2. len says:

St. Louis is full of Democrats. Need I say more.

3. len says:

They have Washington University and were smart enough to make the A-bomb to drop on Japan. But, they can’t figure out how to let people treat their sniffles without having to make an appointment with their Obamacare nurse practitioner, pay a co-pay of $50, and beg for sniffle meds. Stupid Dem donkeys.

5. Alan Fisher says:

The ingredients on the carton include Phenyleprine, not Pseudoephedrine. Phenyleprine is supposed to be less effective. I have not seen anything about labs using Phenyleprine (instead of Pseudoephedrine) to make methephedrine.

1. elfsysop says:

If drug dealers want to pay someone money to go around and buy stuff from stores, so what? With unemployment at 20% or higher for youths and 10% for adults I would take that job. It is NOT the government’s responsibility to CONTROL what free citizens do or do not put into their OWN bodies.

6. Paul says:

Oh great. Now if I have a cold, I’ll have take off 2 hours from work ($50) and pay for a doctors appointment ($45 out of pocket). That’ll be one expensive box of Sudafed. Of course the chronic poor wil get it for nothing at free clinics. But for many lower to middle class people with colds, they’ll really be s#%t out of luck. Time to load up now.

7. Joseph S. says:

Being a Pennsylvania-based M.D., and knowing the hoops through which I must jump (now) to satisfy Medicare and Medicaid requirements for prescription of Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen/Naproxen Sodium in order for the patient to be reimbursed for the cost. I now get “hey, Doc, since you have to write for the Tylenol, why not give me something that’s a little stronger”.

In Canada, there is a version of APAP/Codiene which contains caffeine (to deter abuse) that is sold from behind the pharmacy counter. I would be writing 10% fewer prescriptions if the Canadian policy was in effect here. Undoubtedly, the proposed MO practice of requiring prescription for pseudoephedrine will find its way here.

I should have listened to my mother and entered the priesthood!!

8. Toni Fuller says:

My 17 year old son is hospitalized with induced drug psychosis taking corcidian and delysm cough syrup. I totattly agree that a prescription should be used for any thing containing dxm. My son may have permanet brain damage because he was allowed to buy these meds over the counter to abuse them

2. S says:

…because making something illegal ALWAYS stops it from happening.

3. Geezer says:

Your headline is totally misleading. They are not making it prescription…they are simply putting it behind the counter. If they follow other areas they will require an ID to purchase it.

Headlines like yours do nothing more than anger people…mostly at CBS for putting out false information.

1. John Fox says:

ACTUALLY osoma obama IS ABOUT TO DO JUST THAT. YOU NEED TO LOG ON TO THE DRUDGE REPORT OR LISTEN TO THE JERRY DOYLE RADIO SHOW! YOUR RIGHT ABOUT CBS PUTTING OUT FALSE INFO IN GENERAL, BUT JUST THIS ONCE THERE RIGHT IN A HALF-ASSED WAY!

1. NC Born says:

I was tempted to think you were crazy, but since you typed everything in CAPS, you have convinced me to your cause. Who is your leader? Glenn Beck?

2. John Fox says:

I USE CAPS TO SEE WHAT I TYPE NO CLUE! I USE PUNCTUATION TO EMPHASIZE MY WORDS! AS FOR THE PSYCHIPHRENIC BALL BABY DWEEB THAT YOU MENTIONED, HELL NO! I DON’T WATCH TV. I GAVE IT UP COMPLETELY ALMOST A YEAR AGO! THERE’S NOTHING ON WORTH WATCHING1 COME ON HIT WITH YOUR BEST SHOT, FIRE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!! IS NAME CALLING AND MISDIRECTION YOUR ONLY WEAPONS? WHY NOT STATE FACTS LIKE I HAVE DONE? OH THAT’S RIGHT FACTS, AN INCONVEINENT TRUTH AMONG REJECTS! LOL!!!!

3. NCsux says:

@NC – you removed all doubt – you ARE an idiot.

4. Step Ahead or Behind? says:

they said it was one step closer. In Oklahoma it is already behind the counter, with assurances when they did that that it was not on the way to being an Rx …but now what is happening? They’ve got it behind the counter and they are considering making it an Rx only drug ….

5. John Fox says:

i say lets have a psuedoephedrin day! make it available to the general public and when you catch someone making or using meth, publicly hang them! let crack, cocaine, and all other criminal drugs be enforced less, until all rejects who use or make meth are dealt with! then we can be back my beloved drixoral for the cold and flu season!

1. C. Farris says:

I agree. Let’s have a meth only day – the rejects will self-destruct and we will be rid of them. Same with coke.

6. NC Born says:

Hey Hanky Panky,

Where I live we already do this, and it has worked. You’re sending mixed messages here, in one breath citing the Bill of Rights (federal law) and in the next breath bashing local government doing what it needs to do to protect its citizens. Are you against all government? How are you enjoying the safe roads that you drive on, and the inspected food that you and your family eat every day. Government is everywhere, and it isn’t necessarily bad, although we all know there is some bloat.

The proposed rules will not prohibit you and yours from getting the medicine they want, they just need to go the pharmacy to get it and provide a photo id. That’s it, nothing more. Much to do about nothing, but maybe you’ve got some time on your hands.

1. Idiotmitten says:

The article said prescription only. That means a trip to the doctor and the cost of an office visit to pay for, too. Doctors’ waiting rooms are such a pleasant place to spend hours, too.

1. John Fox says:

IDIOTMITTEN YOU STATED THE OBVIOUS UNDENIABLE FACTS FOR THE REJECTS INCAPABLE OF SUCH REASON! HOWEVER LIKE IN THE MOVIE MY COUSIN VINNY THE JUDGE IS STILL GOING TO SAY NO! REASON IS ABOVE AND BEYOND THE PERVIEW OF THE REJECTS AMONGEST US! LAST I EARD OFFICE CALLS ARE OVER $60. THE AVG DR VISIT WASTES 3-5 HRS. THEN THERE IS THE WAIT TO SEE THE DR, WHICH IS A FEW DAYS! THE TRUE ECONOMIC COST OF THIS STUPIDITY WILL RUN INTO THE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS PER PERSON FOR A $10 ITEM! THEN AGAIN DAMN THE COST, FULL SPEED AHEAD, THIS ABOUT CONTROL OF THE POPULATION. WHICH IS THE CORNERSTONE OF THE OSOMA OBAMA REIGN OF TYRANNY!!!!!!!!!!

2. The OldMe says:

I find it very interesting that you say “…and it has worked”. What do you mean exactly that it has worked? Do you have credible, non-agenda driven facts and statistics that show that the production of meth has been eliminated or substantially reduced because of this law? I live where we have the behind the counter and driver’s license law and we still have meth raids and I’ve never seen a report of how successful it has been. That leads me to believe that it is actually ineffective.

3. TheLibertine says:

No it hasn’t worked in NC. Meth use and making is up. You’re such a government tool — bet you look good in your brown shirt with your little red book.

4. Mike says:

NC Born, please move back to your northern home state, we dont need your kind down here.

5. Rob Johnson says:

Unintended consequences – Drug makers fear that having their product behind the counter instead of in plain sight will affect their sales so they change their formula’s so they can remain out in the open.

Tylenol Sinus used to work wonders on cedar pollen allergies. Now they do not. When I got sick NighQuill used to be THE thing that got me through it. Now it no longer works. They took the effcitive drugs out of it to mollify the nanny staters and now I can’t get relief BUT the meth labs are still up and running.

Quit punishing the innocent for the sins of the guilty. Stop the nany state. Stop the nannies who support the nanny state!

Of course in this case the STL *area* is the personification of the nanny state. With the exception of Detroit, never have you seen more taxes AND a more shoddy, run down infrastructure. These guys cold ruin an anvil.

1. Dominican Mama 4 Obama says:

Aw RJ the troll is wrong again. Let’s see some facts to back your claims up. What? You have none? Move along Drudgesquib.

7. Rick James says:

CBS putting out false information? Say it ain’t so. Hahahaha.

8. Meghann says:

Prescription and requirement of ID are two different things but as Geezer said, you’re misleading and as I’m saying, probably on purpose. Learn how to be a real journalist and title it correctly.

9. Jack says:

Why don’t they outlaw automobiles also since “his biggest concern is that meth labs are now being busted in automobiles more than homes.”

10. jama says:

You are dealing with the symptom here and not the real problem. You need to find out why people are doing meth and deal with the root cause. We can continue to ban more and more things because someone could possibly make them into drugs and get high… Or we could deal with what causes the behavior and help society as a whole

1. John Fox says:

JAMA THAT’S WHY I SAY HANG’EM HIGH! JACK, I SAY BAN WOMEN DRIVERS! THERE WILL BE EWEER ACCIDENTS ON THE ROADS. THERE WILL BE FEWER CARS ON THE ROADS. THEN THE POLICE WILL BE BETTER ABLE TO SPOT THESE MOBILE METH LABS AND SHUT THEM DOWN. YOU KNOW THAT MAKES MUCH MORE SENSE! HOWEVER, I’LL BET THAT COMMENT WILL STIR UP MORE DEBATE THAN THE SUM OF ALL DISCUSSION REGARDING THIS LAW! THE PREFERRED WEAPON OF REJECTS IS DISTRACTION! JUST GIVE IT ONE HOUR FROM THE TIME THIS POST HAS BEEN UP!

1. will says:

will you stop talking or at least not in caps its starting to give me a headache

2. kleghorn says:

@will – waaaaaaaaaaa so don;t read it – how about you stop talking your whining is giving me a headache.

11. Tony Wright says:

80-90% of meth comes from Mexico. This is only a feel good measure that will take one of the most effective decongestants harder to get. Millions of people suffer allergies and this works for them and you just erected bigger road blocks to relief.

Not against all government – just the all powerful government that is rigged against the people, that spouts lies and panic.

1. NC Born says:

Right, because nothing says we’re not lying or panicked better than throwing out bogus, unsubstantiated statistics, like “80-90% of meth comes from Mexico.”. Care to cite a source, other than Fox News for this one Tony?

1. John Fox says:

NO, NO CLUE RECENT GOVT STATISTICS AND REPORTS! YOU REALLY NEED TO READ DRUDGE! THE TURTLE CAN CHOOSE TO SEE OR NOT TO SEE SIMPLY BY OPENING AND CLOSING HIS SHELL. WHERE IS YOUR HEAD STUCK THAT KEEPS YOU FROM SEEING THAT WHICH IS BLATENTLY OBVIOUS TO THE REST?

2. NC Born says:

Please Johh Fox, enlighten us. Where are these facts and statistics, please send us the link.

3. Brian Peppers says:

How about the DEA, wiseass? 95% of the meth comes from 5% of the labs, specifically the superlabs run by organized crime… who *don’t* get their precursors from the local Walgreens.

This *is* just another pointless feel-good measure to make seem like the local officials are actually doing something.

12. Fed up says:

Most meth is coming from Mexico. If someone goes to the store and tries to buy 100,000 Sudafed tablets, then the police should be notified. But because overreaction and overregulation keeps bureaucrats in power, the law abiding among us must now wait in line at the pharmacy to buy cold medicine.

1. NC Born says:

Waiting in line to buy cold medicine? That’s your worst case scenario? That’s, like, the worst thing you could imagine happening to you? Get a life. You live in the most free country in the world. Taxes have been going down the last two years in a row, the stock market’s back up. You should be thankful that you’re not waiting in line to see if you have family that survived a tsunami, but no, you want to complain about the possibility of waiting in line at the pharmacy.

1. NC Abortion says:

Wow – he’s right when he says No Clue. Di dhe say that was his worst problem? No – are you a whiney lib hooked on using rhetoric and hyperbole or what? He said that government has over reacted and even gave an instance where it would make sense to check – but no – it’s more fun for you to spin it into something ridiculous.

2. In The D says:

The only problem I had is when my pregnant wife needed Sudafed because she had a cold. (sudafed is what is deemed “safe” for pregnant women). I went to the pharmacy at the local drug store and they were closed because it is after 7.00pm and there is no 24hr pharmacy nearby. So I had to wait till the next day.

3. True. We should be thankful for what we have.

At the same time, have you ever had to wait in line at the pharmacy when you’re barely able to stand up? When you’re too weak to really walk? When you’re seeing double? When you’re coughing so hard you’re sure that you must have lost a piece of lung? Remember, you’re there to get medicine. You obviously don’t feel well.

As for the ‘free’ country thing…I can’t afford to drive to work, feed my family, or go to the doctor when I get sick. Taxes went down, you say? That’s great! I still have to work two jobs just to make my rent and car payment… glad those taxes are trickling down… I don’t even have the ‘freedom’ of the American Dream in our skewed credit system.

Most importantly, I don’t even have the freedom to choose the drugs that I want to use.

Don’t act pious. I’m sure you’re reading this with a cup of coffee, perhaps a glass of wine. Maybe you don’t drink so you’re sipping a no-foam caramel latte. But don’t fool yourself. They’re all drugs. Just as much as weed or meth or crack.

Prohibition in all its forms has failed.

It’s time to end the drug war.

13. ponderer says:

Well the Wildwood flower grew wild on the farm,
    we never knowedwhat it was called.

Silly.

14. NadePaulKuciGravMcKi says:

Japan radiation

BP’s Gulf of Mexico

9/11 mass murder scam

15. NC Born says:

To reply to John Fox, Drudge Report is nothing but a news aggregator (look it up). There’s nothing original on Drudge, he’s merely posting links to articles that are already online (note the submission form on the page in the lower right corner). You’ll notice a lot of his sources are Fox News, Breitbart, National Review, Rush Limbaugh, The Washington Times. All right-leaning news organizations.

Tell me John, how many years in a row does Fox News need to be the #1 news network before it is part of the “mainstream media”?

Once again, your postings (grammatical and spelling errors included) do nothing to help your cause, and only show that you are not interested in looking for truth, but rather consumed with talking points. Stick to Drudge, leave the conversations for the adults.

1. meso says:

…and you assume yours do? Who died and voted you an “adult” fitting whatever requirements you apparently self righteously believe should constitute the right to have and express an opinion?

2. Rob Johnson says:

Wrong again.
      ” Drudge Report is nothing but a news aggregator (sp) {snip} There’s nothing original on Drudge, ”

News agragation is primarily what he does but he also breaks stories. You know, you might have heard about that little Monica Lewinsky thing? He broke that story. He has broken many stories. So when you say “nothing original on Drudge” you are clearly and profoundly wrong.

Don’t you get tired of being wrong? 😉

1. Dominican Mama 4 Obama says:

RJ RJ RJ

once again did you let facts slide by? so Drudge has done a few original stories (the last one was when by the way?) maybe a couple dozen, heck I’ll give you A HUNDRED over his entire lifespan on the web which has included hundreds of thousands of articles.

So 99.9+% of the time he’s a news aggregator. He’s known as a news aggregator. He admits he’s a news aggregator.

Are you wrong so often you have to split hairs to make a “conquest”. That basement of yours is so cold and heartless isn’t it my lil Drudgie.

16. Roze says:

They’ll just get “bunnies” to drive over the state line. Idiots.

17. Carle Henson says:

Did anyone else notice that the picture is for Sudafed PE which is the “replacement” version that contains no pseudophedrine so it cannot be used to make meth?

1. Robert says:

That’s the first thing I noticed, too. Nothing like fact-checking your story for inaccuracies before publication. This will only serve to make first-glancers believe all decongestants are used to make methamphetamine.
      For what it’s worth, PE is utterly worthless compared to regular Sudafed for fighting congestion. I’m surprised they still sell it, to be honest. But, give somebody enough time, and they’ll likely find a nefarious use for Sudafed PE as well.

18. Blaidd Drwg says:

Dumb hick politicians.

19. tyrone tate says:

So people with a sinus infection, have to go to the doctors to get a script? thats silly those meds will cost $120 when you are done.

1. NC Born says:

You treat a sinus infection with antibiotics, for which you already need a prescription. I had one a few weeks ago. Between my co-pay and the cost of the 10 day supply of Amoxicillin, I was out $30.

20. David says:

We’ve had this in Texas (at least where I live) for a few years. It’s no big deal. You go to the pharmacist and ask for the brand you want. Then you fill out a a piece of paper with your name and other stuff, pay, and go. If it decreases the number of meth labs, or even just pushes them into Mexico, I consider it a fair trade-off.

1. Pags0668 says:

David from TX Wrote – “you fill out a a piece of paper with your name and other stuff, pay, and go. If it decreases the number of meth labs, or even just pushes them into Mexico, I consider it a fair trade-off.”

Fair Trade Off????? How well did registering guns and people who own them do to prevent crimes with GUNS? Did the Criminals really fill out a registration form?

No once again it is the law abiding citizen who will be tracked and investigated not the criminals.

BTW – once the civil war comes to the US do you think Obama will use the list of registered gun owners as a guide of whom to go after first????

As Usual

2. Brian Peppers says:

Wow! Isn’t it great to know that we have people like David and NC Born deciding which freedoms we no longer need? 😀

3. Rob Johnson says:

A Texan is OK with this big brother mentality? Shame on you! Sissy Missourians are no surprise but a WEST texan? Hang your head in shame

1. Dominican Mama 4 Obama says:

RJ The Troll:

Wanting your kids to have meth cheap and easy since 1992!

21. Pags0668 says:

Leave Obama out of this, Can’t you see he has way more important things going on in the world!
    Like his bracket for the NCAA tournament!?!?
    By the way – is something going on in Japan or something?

22. NC Born says:

All of my comments are “awaiting moderation”. I guess this is how people deal with dissenting opinions around here. And then you’ll say the government is censoring you. For shame….

1. justsayin says:

maybe it’s becasue you suck?

2. Jekyll Isle says:

Or is it because you are a moron?

3. Brian Peppers says:

It’s probably because most adults don’t take kindly to uninformed little pipsqueaks posting condescending remarks from their mommy’s basement.

23. Pags0668 says:

I can’t believe what I am reading, the LIBS are mad that CBS is putting out a misleading headline or story????
    You are just figuring this out now???? Do you not remember Dan Rather?????
    Oh yea that was against GWB and actually good investigative reporting, right?

24. Chris says:

Ummmm….Someone help with my confusion. Pseudoephedrine products are already kept behind the pharmacy counter. You have to have a driver’s license to purchase, according to federal law. I guess the main thrust is that you’d need a prescription now, but this is a poorly written article. And the medication shown in the picture does not even contain pseudoephedrine, lol.

25. Kevin says:

Ahh, so what was freedom like baby boomers? Was it fun? Now that you are useless and old, you obviously love turning this once free nation into a feminized police state, don’t you? To you “other” sheep, it doesn’t matter who you vote for, as neither party could care less about the average MAN….

26. Gerald Vimont says:

To the reporter of this story: Please check you facts on this. Just because it’s being moved behind the pharmacy counter DOES NOT MEAN a prescription is required. This has happened in many many places. In these instances a form of ID is required when making a purchase and is put into a data base in the pharmacy area.

27. TiredOfIdiots says:

The entire world is in chaos and now if I want sinus medicine I have to go to my Dr?? You people have way too much time on your hands. The war on drugs is a joke. It is a government control issue. Billions are wasted every year on this “war”. Murderers and rapists have less jail time than some poor dude caught with pot. Wake up idiots! This is how you lose your freedoms and it is being done in purpose. Drug addicts medical help, NOT prison! And if I am sick I have a right to buy my cold meds at the checkout counter! I don’t even recognize my country anymore. It’s sad.

28. kendrick1 says:

For the solution to the drug problem, watch the movie “Traffic” as U.S Drug Czar Michael Douglas discusses with a South American Drug Czar his rehabilitation program for druggies! 100% effective!!!
    We drug-free citizens need to be set free from paying for druggies own choices!!

29. Gerald says:

Ok, going my another news source, the headline of this article is correct. What’s incorrect is that the medicine would move behind the counter. It’s already behind the counter. Just another example of a journalist who seems to be limited on their knowledge of subjects they’re reporting on.

30. Chloe E Petterson says:

I moved to Nevada from Missouri in 2005 and was amusingly stunned to find out that the original good Sudafed was all stashed back in the pharmacy with the prescription drugs”. It is statewide. There are shelf tags and a paper slip for the item in most places that you take back to the pharmacy.

To buy it, you have to show your driver’s license as ID and I guess there’s a trigger somewhere in the system to flag you if you buy more than a normal amount.

I get ear infections easily and have to start on decongestants right away to prevent them, but I’ve bought 3 packs in a season without being called out on anything.

31. Auggie says:

I live in a state that has this “behind the counter” type of restriction. The only effect I can see is the price of pseudophedrine tablets has risen five fold. The generic stuff used to be $5 to $7 for a bottle of 100, now a pack of 24 “behind the counter pseudophedrine costs about $8. Anyone making meth is probably not getting it at a drug store or supermarket, and probably never was. Like restrictive gun laws, these stupid drug laws don’t stop criminals.

32. PJ says:

This is insane. Because a few criminals do bad things they are treating all of us good citizens like criminals. I have allergies and asthma, this medication works for me while other ones do not. I should not have to be treated as a criminal when I purchase it. Nor should anyone have to do a prescription. People kill others with knives but we dont treat anyone buying silverware like a murderer.

33. PJ says:

Making this a prescription drug cripples the wallet of the poor. They would have to pay the high cost of the medicine itself and pay for the doctor visit and time off work for the appointment. All just to get a good decongestant. This is crazy. Real Drug addicts have a criminal history and they can easily be identified. Policing the regular citizen is really taking away our freedoms.

34. HeyHey says:

Damn rednecks. This is classic stupid thinking.

35. zef says:

So instead of more vigorous law enforcement to catch meth producers, the solution is make it more difficult for everybody to get cold remedies at the drug store, amazing and stupid.

36. Johnny Quest says:

So, criminals do their thing, completely illegal, outside the law. i obey the law, don’t do anything illegals and I am the guy who has to pay more and jump through these stupid, lunatic hoops! Why not have the Law enforcement types do their friggin’ jobs and just go after the people who are abusing the freedoms we have? Instead, LEO’s want to surround all free people with every kind of attack on privacy, speech, and commerce to make their stupid tax paid jobs so much easier. This kind of “dripping infringement” on freedom is what is imprisoning all of us!

37. Carl Z. says:

Just go to Canada and get Tylenol with codeine over the counter, and your day will go a lot better!

38. Joe Lupino says:

More idiocy from “progressive” imbeciles. People will drive a distance or go online to get the over-the-counter items to avoid paying for a doctor’s office visit and a prescription co-pay! For those patients who don’t figure this out, they will crowd the clinics for simple colds and delay medical services to more seriously ill people. And this is all before we talk about the increased healthcare program costs for entitlement medical programs. The moral of this story is: DRIVE THE SO CALLED “PROGRESSIVES” OUT OF PUBLIC OFFICE … THEY CANNOT MAKE VOTING ILLEGAL!

1. Sniiffit says:

No but we can make illegal voting legal and we have. What you saw in 2008 was nothing compared to what we’re going to do in 2012. Missouri will easily be blue once again.

39. Jenny Bea says:

When they did this in Oklahoma, it actually helped out. Prior to this, the state ran out of money to pay for the clean up of the busted meth labs. Then the folks all started going across state lines to get sudafed, which is when other states started joining in around Oklahoma. It was awful- you could walk through some neighborhoods and smell the meth being made. Sort of a chemical/asprin-ey smell. It’s not a problem though- it’s not like a regular Rx, but you do have to register your name with the pharmacy and they track how many boxes you buy in a given time frame to show you’re using it normally, and not to make meth.

I understand the frustration of people who complain about big government, but this is really the wrong issue. This is a state’s issue, not a federal issue. The feds are supposed to have limited powers, but the states do NOT, and therefore if states wanted to make these rules, hey could get away with this easily. It’s not about big government, per se. It would be if this were a federal issue, but since the states are tackling these problems on their own, it’s not the same thing.

1. EMB says:

It’s a state issue, but only because the feds (FDA) made it a state issue when they allowed all of these pharma companies to change their medication from a prescription medication to an over the counter one when their patents were up.

40. EMB says:

Actifed, Sudafed, Chlortrimeton, Claritin…just a few of the drugs that were approved by the FDA as PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. When the patent was up on Actifed, the pharma company petitioned the FDA that it was safe and should be changed to an OTC drug…which allowed them to make more money on it. Other drugs followed suit.

So Meth can be made with some of these meds, thereby making them unsafe to sell in large quantities. Thus the need to put them behind the counter. No real story here. Just trying to keep our streets and kids safe.

41. nunya says:

a 17 y/o can buy a morning after pill so she doesnt get pregnant..but i cant buy my son cold medicine?!?!?!

42. HarryK says:

Stick it to the people once again. Now instead of simply buying a $10 box of cold medicine youll need a $75 doctors appointment on top of it.

What a bunch of jerks.

43. Keith Casper says:

In Oregon we have a “behind the counter” law for compounds containing pseudoephedrine. Yes, it has reduced the number of “meth lab” busts BUT it has led to an increasing availability of high quality meth and its friends from the superlabs south of the US border.

Considering the continued demand, maybe with a bit of luck and time, we’ll be able to transform the illicit drug trade into a legitimate business as we did alcohol in the last century.

44. icecycle66 says:

The law is fine, for those who support it.
    I just hope they don’t try to enslave those who root against the law.
    I especially hope the government there does not attempt to cause people to be criminals for doing something that only recently was not criminal.

45. Gregg says:

does anyone notice that the product pictured is not pseudo-ephedrine?
    The article must have been written by a left wing nut; they never check their work or do the research to get the facts right. makes the rest of the article suspect.

46. Jim says:

What are you idiots in Wildwood thinking? Now you’ve got to have a doctor take time away from their patients to write your Rx for OTC cold medicine?!?
    Did you stop to think the doctor may now also want you to to make an in person visit to her/his office first to make sure YOU are not one of the meth heads you are trying to stop? Have fun paying your $30 copay just to drive from your doctor appt to pick up your $6.00 Rx at Walgreens. You Wildwood-heads must have way too much time on your hands.

47. Andy McDonald says:

Do these government idiots actually believe that Homer is going to his local pharmacy and buying 100 boxes of Sudaphed at retail to make their Meth? Really? Or are they just caught up in a frenzy, afraid of not doing “something”?

Most Meth components come from robberies and truck hi-jackings, when not smuggled over the Southern border.

Inconvenience the innocent. Create the illusion that they care. Do nothing to stop the criminals. We’ve seen this pattern before: TSA anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

48. shipwreckedcrew says:

The picture of Sudafed PE you have on this story does NOT contain pseudoephedrine. LOL.

49. Jekyll Isle says:

NC is a moron

here is some info for the hockey helmet crew of NC

50. heatherfeather says:

Punish all for the actions of a few. That’s the liberal way.

We need five years of Martial Law. The meth freaks will get rounded up and shipped away in boxcars, and the liberals who worship the a** end of society will put up or shut up.

51. Anna says:

Here in MS pseudoephrine went behind the counter for 1 year. Then they made it Rx. So, due to a small minority of methheads the rest of us cant get a damn cold pill. It is now a SCHEDULE 2 drug so posession of ONE without a Rx puts you in jail. You can lose your professional licenses, etc depending on your field, and have a record as a druggie. Looks great on your resume or in civil court!
    Cant hoard or cross state lines, because pharmacies in adjoining states report to the Sheriff if you buy with an out of state license. They actually wait for cars to cross the line and arrest people on information from out of state pharmacies. Major bust here Thanksgiving morning, at 4 am they rounded up 82 citizens from their homes, who had been reported by out of state pharmacies.
    At least you get to vote on it.

52. Brad W. says:

Wow, way to overburden the ED’s and primary care Dr’s even more. Go America!

53. Hate to be cynical, but….. who is going to profit from this? Doctors. The whole prescription scheme is not about health and safety, but making sure doctor’s get their cut. How often do you go to the doctor and you know what the prescription is going to be. But you still have to give the doctor his cut before you can go to the pharmacist We were in Mexico and were quite surprised to see anti-biotics right on the shelf. It seems Mexico is more ‘free’ in this aspect than we are.

54. elfsysop says:

So more people will lose their jobs as the sales for this drug decline thanks to the meddlesome government regulation. A governmemnt that creates laws by the thousands and regulations by the millions that cannot be enforced. Cities are trimming law enforecement to record lows and yet the government creates more unenforceable laws and regulations. HINT: ENFORCE THE LAWS YOU ALREADY HAVE STARTING WITH DEPORTING THE ILLEGALS, CLOSING THE BORDERS, EXECUTING THOSE INMATES ON DEATH ROW, PROSECUTE THE TAX EVADERS IN THE GOVERNMENT – that should keep the knuckle heads busy for a few thousand years.

55. thirdeyeguy says:

Most of us would do just about anything to make the meth trade go away but this will probably just drive up profits and increase the problem after an initial drop.

56. proudnot2bliberal says:

RE: elfsysop

BUT this is the problem with you liberal/libertarians theory when jonnie do crack (or meth) I do care because I/we the tax payers will have to pay for his hospitalization/healthcare & that of his 15 children from different mothers.

So see this is why we care “what people do with thier own bodies” becasue we end up paying for thier mistakes!

57. gnshpdude says:

Nice picture. Too bad Sudafed PE doesn’t contain ant Pseudoephedrine. The PE was developed to repalce Pseudoephedrine. It doesn’t work worth a damn.

58. TC says:

I think a lot of other states have had a restriction on this drug for some time now.

59. PeterP says:

This is insanity. Now when my kids or I need this very effective drug, I must burden the health care system with yet another cost simply to get a prescription. It is the summation of micromanagement like this that is costing us all so much.

60. Tommy says:

So they punish the honest people again for crimes that other’s do and so you will have to go to a doctor to get medicine that everyone else in the country can buy at the store. Think maybe your council is a bit too controlling? As far as guns go, here in Virginia we can only buy one a month but we don’t have to get a stupid permit to buy one and we can easily get a concealed weapon permit.

61. Richard V. says:

Irrelevant town councils drunk with power…

62. T13 says:

The stupidity spreads to Millwood.

63. ricardo maxwell says:

what a sad day for consumers once again made to bend over and grab their ankles by the govt. because a certain few criminal idiots have spoiled it for the rest of us. Time to get rid of all the govt interference and these moronic councilmen and women should be made to walk the plank!

64. Cara C says:

Pathetic. Control freaks gravitate toward government. If the people don’t fight for their liberty, they will lose it.

65. Anonymous says:

My brother died when his neighbor’s Meth Lab exploded. Yes, they were cooking with OTC cold pills.

I’m so sorry you all have been so greatly inconvenienced by this law that could have saved my brother and will save countless more.

Maybe, someday, we will all be as smart as you and value instant consumer gratification over the lives of innocent people.

66. Cara C says:

Anonymous, many people’s brothers have died in car accidents. Should the government outlaw cars?

Do you think meth addicts won’t find another way to get their hands on what they need? Do you think this will prevent them from being a danger to those around them? No, it is the law abiding who will suffer.

I’m sorry about your brother, but the government cannot make our dangerous world perfectly safe no matter what they ban and no matter what they promise. Giving them free reign to ban and restrict products consumers want and need is, in the long run, going to end up causing more deaths than it prevents.

1. Anonymous says:

“Should the government outlaw cars?”

The Government isn’t outlawing Pseudoephedrine. Strawman Argument.

” Do you think this will prevent them from being a danger to those around them?”

Yes. If they can’t get the ingredients to cook, they can’t cook. Pretty f#cking simple.

“I’m sorry about your brother”

No you’re not, you’re just saying that to make yourself seem more believable.

“Giving them free reign to ban and restrict products consumers want and need is, in the long run, going to end up causing more deaths than it prevents.”

How the Hell do you figure that?

Nobody dies of the common cold, not unless they have severely compromised immune systems in the first place, in which case, Pseuodephedrine isn’t going to help at all.

67. Cara C says:

OK, you don’t like the banned analogy, as pseudoephedrine will just be restricted. Then, should you have to get a permission slip from a driving professional (paying $100-200 for the privilege) every time you want to drive a car?

You think meth addicts won’t be able to get what they want by begging, lying, stealing, finding corrupt doctors, going to the black market – or finding some other dangerous substitute? Yes, this law will surely prevent any of that because outlawing drugs has worked so well to prevent drug use. Oh, wait, no, it hasn’t. No, the drug addicts will find a work-around. The people trying to ease their cold symptoms so they can get through a day of work will suffer.

You are rooting for the government to infantilize us further in the name of a false sense of safety. You are rooting to be subjugated further by politicians and bureaucrats, whose judgment is often flawed or whose vote is often influenced by special interest groups who profit at our expense. In this case, consumers who want to be able to buy the cold meds of their choice lose. Doctors win, as people will be forced to pay to see a doctor if they want effective cold relief.

It should be very difficult for the government to ban or restrict products the people want and need. I didn’t say that restricting pseudoephedrine was going to kill anyone. THAT was a strawman argument.

I said that giving the government free reign to ban and restrict the products we want and need is going to end up causing more deaths than it prevents. For example, the new light bulbs they’re trying to force on us contain dangerous levels of mercury, and the CAFE standards that forced car companies to make lighter vehicles have resulted in thousands of additional fatalities each year, while not achieving the goal of reducing fuel consumption.

We must protect our liberty to make our own decisions, and not trade this for a false sense of security.

68. DonFG says:

Brilliant idea! Now I have to pay a copay of $20 to by a 5 dollar box of cold medicine.