Florissant Man Told To Remove “Jesus” Sign From His Yard

Fred Bodimer

FLORISSANT, Mo. (KMOX) –  A north St. Louis County man says he can’t believe what he found in his mailbox — a letter from his subdivision committee telling him he had to take down his yard sign.

The simple green sign has a single word written in white…”Jesus”.

“What is this?  What kind of country are we living in?,” Michael Mayfield asks incredulously.

Mayfield lives in unincorporated Florissant, in a subdivision called Weatherby Place off Shackleford.

He says as a Christian, he proudly placed the familiar green-and-white sign in his yard as a declaration of his faith.

“And they told me I had to remove it,” Mayfield tells KMOX News.  “I mean it just shocked me to no end to even read a letter like this.  It spelled out ‘Jesus’, and that really captured my attention that they would go as far as to spell out the name ‘Jesus’.”

Mayfield says his sign isn’t going anywhere; in fact, he’s still deciding whether to put up more Jesus signs in his front yard.

No response yet from the subdivision’s operators, D & I Properties.

Copyright KMOX Radio

Comments

1. C. BAKER says:

TWO POINTS, 1. HOW LONG HAS THIS PERSON LIVED IN THIS SUBDIVISION; IF HE WAS THERE BEFORE THERE WAS A SUBDIVISION COMMITTEE, HE WOULD BE GRANDFATHERED IN AND THATS THE END OF ANY ARGUMENT. 2. HE HAS A 1ST ADMENDMENT RIGHT TO DISPLAY THAT SIGN. NOBODY GOVERNMENT OR COMMITTEE CAN FORCE HIM TO REMOVE IT. WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS ARE ON THIS SO CALLED SUBDIVISION COMMITTEE .A THIRD POINT CONGRADULATIONS ARE SORT OF IN ORDER. SOMEBODY FINALLY HAD THE SENSE TO ENLARGEN THE HEADING TO THE STORY. BUT NOT ENOUGH SENSE TO DO THE SAME FOR THE STORY PRINT.

2. Lou Jearls says:

As Director of Public Works for the incorporated City of Florissant please be advised that ‘JESUS’ signs are permitted and welcomed … especially during these trying times.

1. Jamie says:

as another Florissant resident, I’d like to tell him to STAND HIS GROUND,..PLEASEEEE don’t back down, that is HIS property, HE paid for it and as long as the signs aren’t in the ROW, he should put up as many as he wants

2. PeriBlue says:

Other people in Florissant should get copies of the sign & put them in their front yards to show their support.

3. smokehouse56 says:

The heathens that wrote the letter should be tarred and feathered Freedom of religion is considered by many people and nations to be a fundamental human right. It is enshrined in Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Thomas Jefferson said (1807) “among the inestimable of our blessings, also, is that …of liberty to worship our Creator in the way we think most agreeable to His will

4. ron Hyatt says:

Jesus”. “What is this? What kind of country are we living in?,

Would have been a better sign than just “Jesus”

5. Shameekah says:

this is an affront and crime against Islam & his prophet Mohammed………

1. Kini says:

Really, well then, we’ll say a prayer for you in Jesus name.

6. Peregrino52 says:

So much for “Show Me”, Missouri.

7. Charles says:

Mohammed offends me and I was born here. What’s the problem?

8. Nathan says:

I need more information before I can form an opinion of the story. What policy in the community bylaws of policy manual was violated? If it’s a prohibition against ANY sign on the property, whether it says “Jesus” or “Have a nice day” or “Eat at Joe’s” then I think that’s reasonable that they ask him to take the sign down. If he was singled out however, that’s not cool and should not be permitted. As the first commenter said, it also depends when the policy was enacted and what he signed when he moved in. But we need more information before we assume it’s the godless heathens persecuting a believer in the country’s most common religion.

9. Frank says:

If the sign had said “Allah” or “Mohammed’, they wouldn’t have said anything because of political correctness. Just sickening. These officials probably thought his sign offends muslims, yet muslims keep offending us almost daily with their violent, backward, intolerant and hateful ideology.

10. Badger1911 says:

I’m not American, nor am I Christian. But I say: leave this sign where it is.

If he would put up “MAO” or “LENIN” nobody would complain.

11. Kini says:

It seems CC&R rules are over restricted to the point of insanity.

12. jm says:

I’m having an ‘Atheist’ sign made for my front yard. Can’t wait to see how long before my house is burned down…

1. Nathan says:

You might be safer with a Flying Spaghetti Monster. There’s a chance that people won’t know what it means.

13. LisaLove says:

CHRISTIANS need to get a back bone and stand up for their rights to freedom of speach and thoughts in AMERICA. Thats right we are living in AMerica not a communist country. I am not saying to just talk about it, I mean to do something about it. If christians don’t stand up for our rights before long we will not have any. Just because you are a christian dosen’t mean that you need to be afriad or weak. Jesus was not afraid or weak and did not hide when they came to get him to put him on the Cross. REMEMBER ! WWJD.

14. lisalove says:

To do something about this Maybe ALL CHRISTIANS should put green signs in their yards that say JESUS ON THEM to support him as a christian. To express OUR freedom of Speach and what we believe in. Strength and prayers in numbers. AMEN

15. LISALOV E says:

I think I will go get me a Green sign that saids JESUS on it and put it in my yard to support this Christian BUT MOST IMPORTANT SUPPORT JESUS. DOES ANYONE know Where to get one made?

1. GH says:

U can get a JESUS sign thru me. call 655-8014 for your free JESUS sign!!!!

16. GH says:

FOR YOUR FREE JESUS SIGN CALL 314-655-8014!! CALL TODAY!!

17. Stefano from Brazil says:

Poor America, made hostage by sick leftopaths…You just can’t get Obambi another term if you want to survive.

18. Barbara says:

I Think That He Should Stand His Ground! He Has His Religious Rights!