Gallons of Toxic Chemical Leak in to Local Creek
Get Breaking News First
BRIDGETON, Mo. (KMOX) – A Department of Natural Resources team has checked Coldwater Creek after a hazardous chemical leaked into it from a nearby business Thursday morning.
According to DNR Spokesman Larry Archer they found Ammonium Hydroxide in the water. A colourless liquid with a strong characteristic odor commonly used at industrial plants.Archer says it gives the water a “whitish greenish cloudy look to it and it also changes the PH in the water.”
That discoloration and PH change cleared up about a mile and a half-from the spill at Univar on Seeger Industrial in Berkeley.
Archer says since there is not much aquatic life in the creek the Ammonium Hydroxide shouldn’t have much of an impact and it should dissipate after the rain predicted to come in tonight and Friday morning.
About 5,400 gallons of Ammonium Hydroxide spilled from a valve at Univar this morning. No one was hurt but Univar and the business across the street were evacuated.
Copyright KMOX Radio