UPDATE: Busch Agrees to Settlement in Wrongful Death Suit

ST. LOUIS (KMOX/AP) – Former Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. CEO August Busch IV has agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle a wrongful death lawsuit over his girlfriend’s accidental drug overdose death, Busch’s lawyer said Wednesday.

“We believe the settlement is very fair and even generous, but in an effort to ensure Blake’s future, we are hopeful the court will approve,” Busch’s attorney, Art Margulis, said.

Adrienne Martin, 27, a one-time aspiring model, died December 19 at Busch’s sprawling estate in suburban St. Louis. An autopsy concluded she overdosed on oxycodone and also had a significant amount of cocaine in her system.

Dr. Kevin Martin of Cape Girardeau, her ex-husband, filed the lawsuit last month on behalf of the couple’s 8-year-old son, Blake Martin. Kevin Martin is also seeking damages. A judge will take the settlement offer up for consideration next month, according to filings on the Missouri State Courts Automated Case Management System (Case.Net).

Maurice Graham, another attorney for Busch, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the settlement is not an admission of negligence.

“Mr. Busch has made a decision to put this behind him and to avoid lengthy litigation, but most importantly, to help Blake Martin,” Graham said. “He does not feel he has any responsibility for Ms. Martin’s unfortunate death, but he does feel strongly he wants to help this young man. He is concerned, however, that Blake Martin’s grandparents are seeking to receive part of the settlement intended for Blake.”

Busch, 46, was the last of a long line of Busch family members to run the company. Against his wishes, the maker of Budweiser, Bud Light and other beers was sold to Belgian brewer InBev in 2008.

Busch’s net worth isn’t known, but he earned about $100 million from the sale, then began earning $120,000 a month as a consultant to InBev.

Busch has had difficult times before.

While attending the University of Arizona in 1983, Busch left a bar near Tucson, Ariz., with a 22-year-old woman. His black Corvette crashed, and the woman died. Busch, who was found hours later at his home, had suffered a fractured skull and claimed he had amnesia. After a seven-month investigation, authorities declined to press charges, citing a lack of evidence.

Two years later, Busch was acquitted by a St. Louis jury of assault charges resulting from a police chase that ended with an officer shooting out a tire on his Mercedes-Benz.

Busch has called Martin’s death the saddest time of his life.

(Copyright KMOX)


More From CBS St. Louis

KMOX Podcasts
As Heard On KMOX

Listen Live