ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Congressman Russ Carnahan, whose 3rd District was squeezed out of existence in the wake of last year’s census, is clearing up any and all questions about his intentions for 2012.
“I do plan to be a candidate for Congress next year,” Carnahan announced Monday during a stop at a senior center in Affton. “I plan to run for reelection.”
Less clear is exactly which Congressional seat Carnahan will run for, and he’s not ready to reveal his intentions on that front.
His choices seem to boil down to challenging fellow Democrat Lacy Clay, or moving out of the St. Louis area to seek office in a less Democrat-friendly district.
Carnahan said Monday he’ll make his decision public “as soon as we know what the final lines look like, which could be several months.”
In the meantime, fundraising has been running full steam ahead since the first of the year.
“I set a (personal) record in the amount we raised in the first quarter, set a record in the amount we raised in the second quarter,” Carnahan insisted. “Altogether we raised over $540,000.”
He says that tells him that losing his current Congressional seat won’t necessarily mean losing his job in Washington next year.
“The fund-raising from my supporters is a great sign for me that folks are supporting what I’m doing, and want me to continue to do this work,” Carnahan said.
Carnahan criticized Republicans Tuesday over their treatment of the debate to raise the debt limit.
“These debt limit votes have occurred since 2001 at least ten times,” Carnahan said. “They’ve not been used to hold our economy hostage or in any way suggest that America should not make good on our obligations, as, unfortunately, some have done in this congress.”
Carnahan called the push for a “cut, cap and balance” plan by some Republicans “a gimmick.”
Copyright KMOX Radio