Protect Yourself Against Ticket Scammers
Cardinals CentralShop for Cardinals Gear
Buy Cardinals Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Tuesday’s playoff game at Busch Stadium between the Cards and Phillies is officially sold out. but that won’t stop people from trying to score some seats.
With that in mind, the Better Busines Bureau is warning fans about fake ticket sellers looking to cash in on your desire to root the Redbirds to victory in the NLDS.
Michelle Corey says fans most often get burned buying a counterfeit ticket outside the stadium, but the internet has also become a potential minefield for your wallet.
The secondary market for tickets is a $10 billion industry and Corey says it’s become a breeding ground for scammers looking to take advantage.
The BBB offers the following advice for fans seeking tickets:
- Be careful buying tickets from someone on the street. When you get to the gate and find out your tickets aren’t real, the seller will be long gone.
- Before buying from an online ticket broker, look for the BBB logo on the website and click on it to make sure it is real. The BBB’s dynamic seal will take you directly to the BBB Business Review on the company, where you can read about the company’s record for responding to complaints. Make sure the website has a secure payment processing system, usually denoted by “https://” at the start of its website address or URL or a small closed lock icon at the bottom of the screen.
- If you buy tickets through an online auction site, choose a seller with a long history of satisfied customers. Scammers can hijack old accounts, so make sure the seller has recently sold other tickets.
- Ticket buyers also should be wary of sellers who try to lure buyers from a legitimate site to another site for a “private” transaction. Scammers often want to conduct their business on sites with names that mimic well-known companies but actually are fakes.
- If you are buying tickets through an online classified ad site, never pay the seller by wire transfer. You will have no way to get your money back if the tickets do not arrive or are counterfeit.
Copyright KMOX Radio