ATLANTA (AP/KMOX) — The Herman Cain campaign is “reassessing” its strategy in the wake of a woman’s claim that she and Cain had engaged in a 13-year extramarital relationship, a senior staffer to the campaign told CBS News.
The staffer made the statement following reports that Cain told supporters Tuesday morning that he is reassessing whether to remain in the Republican presidential race.
Cain has fiercely denied the affair as well as several other accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior that have surfaced over the past month.
“If a decision is made, different than we should plow ahead, you all will be the first to know,” Cain reportedly said on the 90-person conference call Tuesday.
According to the senior staffer all public events will go forward this week but Cain will review the campaign’s strategy over the next several days. The staffer also says Cain’s tone was positive but there was some uncertainty coming from him.
“He said obviously it’s taken an emotional toll on his family, but he’s moving ahead with the campaign,” said Steve Grubbs, Cain’s Iowa campaign chairman. “He said that they will be reassessing the campaign.”
Grubbs added: “He said this lady was a friend, someone he thought was a friend, that he was trying to help out financially and had been a friend for some period of time. But that nothing inappropriate occurred.”
Associated Press writer Steve Peoples in New Hampshire contributed to this report. Beaumont reported from Iowa.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)