Christmas Tree Fire Kills Sleeping Godfrey Woman
Get Breaking News First
GODFREY, Ill. (KMOX) - A Godfrey woman and her pet dog died when their home went up in flames, Wednesday morning.
Godfrey Fire Chief John Sowders says crews found 48-year-old Linda Kelley in her smoke-filled upstairs bedroom, with her dog alongside the bed.
Chief Sowders says the fire started on the first floor of the home, and they’ve identified a probable cause, “Looks like it probably was electrical in nature. We found some overloaded extension cords around the Christmas tree.” The Illinois State Fire Marshal’s office has been called in to make the final determination on the cause.
Sowders says Alton firefighters were initially called to the scene with Godfrey crews, as the home was in the first block of East Delmar in Godfrey—near the border of the two fire districts.
(KMOX © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )