Carbon Monoxide Nearly Claims Missouri Family

O’FALLON, Mo. (AP) — Four members of a Missouri family narrowly escaped tragedy after a dirty furnace filled a home with carbon monoxide.

St. Charles officials say the incident occurred Monday in O’Fallon at the home of Vincent Celano.

Celano, his 11-year-old son, a 41-year-old nephew and the nephew’s 14-year-old son were sick and passed out because of the carbon monoxide.  Celano says another nephew showed up just in time, realized what was happening and called 911.

The St. Charles County Ambulance District says those in the house likely would have died if they had been in the house for another hour or two.

The problem was blamed on a dirty, 33-year-old furnace. The home did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

The four relatives were treated at a hospital.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Live Inspired
Photography In A Flash

Listen Live