Long Wait Pays Off With Opening Day Cardinals Tickets
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - Friday the 13th dawns lucky for Cardinals fans — it’s Opening Day at Busch Stadium.
The defending World Champs have a strong fan following, but some really dedicated backers have spent the last several nights sleeping on the sidewalk outside of Busch.
They’re waiting in line for those $11.20 First Pitch tickets for Opening Day, and KMOX News spoke with a rowdy group that first arrived to set up their tent at noon…on Tuesday.
How have they been sustaining themselves until those ticket vouchers become available at 9 am Friday?
“Bratwurst, hot dogs, ribs…we’re going to barbecue later,” explained “Tammy” from Fenton.
And the most important element for the long-term seige of Busch?
“Plenty of beer,” she said.
Here’s the scoop on the First Ticket program offered by the St. Louis Cardinals and KMOX, the team’s flagship radio station:
- Every game day during the regular season, the first 275 customers at the Busch Stadium 8th Street Ticket Windows, located near Gate 3, will be able to purchase a voucher entitling them to two (2) tickets for that day’s game for just $11.20. (Please note: all fans purchasing the First Pitch Tickets voucher will be asked to show a picture ID at the time of purchase.)
- First Pitch Tickets voucher sales begin at 9:00am on the day of the game, and continue until 2 hours before scheduled game time, or until all vouchers are sold (whichever comes first).
- The tickets – a virtual grab bag of locations returned to the ticket office by Cardinals players, the visiting club, sponsors, groups and others – may be anywhere within the ballpark, from Field to Terrace level or Standing Room Only.
- Ten minutes before game time, (ie. 7:05 p.m. for a 7:15 p.m. game) fans will be asked to produce their picture ID along with their voucher at the “First Pitch Tickets” sign – located at Gate 5 on Clark Street – to claim their tickets. Tickets will be in sealed envelopes and distributed on a completely random basis. Exchanges will not be permitted.
- Fans must immediately enter the ballpark through Gate 5 once they have received their tickets.
- Tickets will be distributed at the First Pitch Tickets entrance until 15 minutes after scheduled game time.
- Only 275 ticket pairs – or 550 tickets total – will be available for each home game throughout the 2012 season.