UPDATE: SIUE Students Die after Apartment Fire in Edwardsville
Get Breaking News First
EDWARDSVILLE, Il (KMOX) – Two SIU-Edwardsville students have succumb to their injuries after a fire Sunday morning.
21-year-old Lacy Siddall, 19-year-old Lauren Peterson passed away Monday, according to Edwardsville fire chief R.W. Welle.
A next-door neighbor noticed the fire in the 600 block of Hillsboro Avenue at about 3:45 a.m. Sunday. When firefighters got there, they found the two students in a second floor room next to the bedroom where the fire was burning.
There’s no official cause of the fire, although authorities say it may have something to do with an overloaded power strip and a laptop computer that was still plugged in.
Authorities say the two victims were childhood friends who grew up in Bethalto.
Funeral arrangements are pending.