Missouri Board of Education Wants Tobacco Tax Increased

JEFFERSON CITY, MO. (AP) – Illinois Governor Quinn just recently signed a bill adding a dollar tax on a pack of cigarettes and now it looks like there is backing for a potential November ballot initiative asking Missouri voters to raise tobacco taxes.

The State Board of Education voted Tuesday to support a plan that would raise Missouri’s lowest-in-the-nation cigarette tax from 17 cents per pack to 90 cents beginning January. Its estimated the initiative would generate between $283 million and $423 million annually. 80 % of the money would go to education with the remaining 20 percent would go to smoking cessation efforts.

The secretary of state’s office is counting petition signatures to see if there are enough to qualify the measure for the ballot.

© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Live Inspired
Photography In A Flash

Listen Live