Hazelwood Woman Electrocuted at Lake of the Ozarks
LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. (KMOX) — A 26-year old Hazelwood woman is the third person to be electrocuted while swimming near a dock at the Lake of the Ozarks.
Jennifer Lanford died early Saturday night before sundown, while swimming with two boys in Dry Branch Cove in Morgan county. She touched the dock and was electrocuted. The two boys swam away and were unharmed.
On the Fourth of July, two other children were electrocuted in the water near a different dock at Gravois Arm. The Missouri State Highway Patrol identified them as 13-year-old Alexandra Anderson and her 8-year-old brother Brayden, of Ashland.
Authorities say improper wiring led to those deaths. The highway patrol is investigating both incidents.
KMOX previously reported that Ameren gives permission for docks to be installed but electrical inspections are left to the local fire protection districts.
Lake Ozark Fire Protection District Fire Marshal James Doyle says six districts do inspect within their boundaries, but outside those boundaries each owner is on their own, “If you’re not in an area that’s being inspected I’d have a qualified electrician to put it in and do your research with Ameren, they’ve got the information there to be safe.”
Click here to go to Ameren’s dock information page.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)