Charges Dropped Against Homeless

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP)– Some of the 17 homeless people arrested when police raided a Springfield camp last month will not be charged with trespassing.

The municipal prosecutor said Thursday charges would be dropped in some cases because investigators couldn’t determine which of the campers were given legal notice before being cited.

The Springfield News-Leader reports two people pleaded guilty Thursday to trespassing and one pleaded not guilty. Others at the court Thursday were told they won’t be charged.

Springfield police went to the camp the day before it was raided and told campers they had 24 hours to leave. Prosecutor Carl Yender says only campers who were noted in police reports as being given prior warning were charged.

He says about seven people had their charges dropped.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Live Inspired
KMOX Podcasts

Listen Live