Firefighters Save 10 in Overnight Apartment Fire in Chesterfield

Michael Calhoun (@michaelcalhoun, mrcalhoun@cbs.com)

CHESTERFIELD, Mo. (KMOX) — A man is hospitalized after an overnight blaze at the Schoettler Village apartment complex in Chesterfield.

A firefighter also suffered a shoulder injury.

Stephanie Poth was sleeping when she says her smoke alarm sounded: “I woke up and the air smelled of smoke,” Poth said. “I checked the door, it wasn’t warm, but as soon as I opened it, all this smoke filled the apartment. So we jumped out onto a balcony and popped down a ladder to the ground.” That ladder was courtesy of the firefighters responding to the three-alarm blaze. In all, ten people were rescued.

The Red Cross is assisting displaced residents with food and clothing; the apartment complex is looking for rooms for the residents.

No cause has been determined.

(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

Live Inspired
Photography In A Flash

Listen Live