KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Kansas City Health Department is warning that some paprika bought in bulk at independent grocery stores is contaminated with lead.
The health department said Monday that it discovered the contamination at three area stores, although it might be available at other locations. The paprika was sold in bins as paprika, sweet paprika, smoked paprika and Hungarian paprika.
The Kansas City Star reports the contaminated spices have been traced to an in-state distributor that stopped its sales.
The health department says the contamination was found during an investigation into the lead poisoning of a 2-year-old girl.
The contamination may come from the soil in which the spices are grown or from processing. In some cases, lead is added to a spice to preserve its color.
© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.