EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (KMOX) - Low income families in Madison County Illinois can get economic help with their home energy bills.
Madison County obtained money through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Development to assist low income families.
Applications will be accepted beginning Tuesday Sept. 4th.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program is designed to assist low-income citizens by offsetting the rising cost of home energy. The program begins September 4, 2012 with a special two-month priority period (September 4, 2012 through October 31, 2012) for applicants with an elderly (age 60 or older) and/or disabled household member, who may also be disconnected or under imminent threat to be disconnected from their utilities.
Beginning October 1, 2012 households with children under the age of 5 and households who are disconnected from their utilities may apply. All other households will be allowed to apply starting November 1, 2012 through May 31, 2013 or until funds are depleted whichever comes first.
Persons wishing to apply should contact the nearest Outreach Site in their area for an appointment. The sites are:
- Madison County Energy (Edwardsville) — 296-6485
- Wood River Facility — 296-6631
- Granite City Housing Facility — 876-4232
- Madison County Urban League (Alton) — 463-1906
- Madison County Urban League (Madison) — 877-8860
- Chouteau Township — 931-0323
- Collinsville Township — 344-1290
- Edwardsville Township– 656-0292
- Ft. Russell Township — 377-5660
- Jarvis Township Senior Center — 667-2022
- Highland Area Christian Ministry — 654-9295
- Olive Township — 637-2630
- Senior Services Plus — 465-3928
- Venice Township — 452-1121
Persons applying for home energy assistance must provide proof of income from all household members for the past 30 days, proof of most recent energy bill(s) and proof of social security number(s) for all household members. Applications for home energy assistance are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. All households that are interested in applying are encouraged to call and make an appointment as early as possible. Home energy assistance payments made to eligible households are approved on a one-time basis. Income guidelines for this program are as follows:
Size of Household, Gross Income for 30 Days
Prior to Application Date
1 ———– $1,396
7 ———– $4,366
Persons having general questions regarding the LIHEAP Program may contact the Madison County Community Development Energy Assistance at (618)296-6485.