NEW DEVELOPMENT: Man Used Gasoline To Blow Up Home
Get Breaking News First
FLORISSANT, Mo. (KMOX) -The man who died in Sunday morning’s house explosion in Florissant used gasoline to intentionally set off the blast, according to investigators.
Police spokesman Andy Haarmann says the death of 52-year-old Kirk Sayles has been ruled a suicide, “It’s one of those things where if you pour enough gas in the house and then you have the vapors saturate the air that much caused the explosion.”
The blast knocked the home on Flower Ridge off its foundation. The ensuing fire destroyed the house and melted the siding on a neighboring home.
Police later found a suicide note in Sayles’ pick-up, which was parked outside.
our earlier story:
FLORISSANT, Mo. (KMOX) - Investigators have now identified the victim as 52 year old Kirk Sayles. Police say they found a suicide note inside Sayle’s SUV parked in front of his home.
They say Sayles turned on the gas to his home, lit a match and blew it up, causing a huge explosion and fire.Florissant Police Officer Andy Haarmann tells KMOX when officers arrived at the scene around 3am, the home at 22 Flower Ridge Lane was engulfed in flames.
Hours after the fire was extinguished, and it was determined to be safe for investigators to go inside, they found the 52-year-old resident dead inside.
“There is evidence to suggest it was a suicide, however, the investigation is continuing,” Officer Haarmann says.
Several nearby homes were damaged by the explosion and fire. Officer Haarmann says neighbors were evacuated as a precaution and should be allowed to return to their homes soon.
Police are not yet releasing the name of the man killed in the blast.
our earlier story:
FLORISSANT, Mo. (KMOX) - Police and fire officials in Florissant are looking to find the cause of an early Sunday morning house explosion that left one person dead.
The explosion was just before 3am in the first block of Floweridge Lane. Rescue workers had trouble getting inside, because the gas line was on fire.
Several nearby homes also were damaged in the blast.
Residents were evacuated as a precaution because of the gas.