Careless Smoking Likely Cause of Fatal Fire

FOLEY, Mo. (AP) – Authorities suspect smoking in bed caused a Lincoln County mobile home fire that killed a 71-year-old man.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/TNFgbV ) reports that Robert H. Voorheis Sr. died early Friday in the fire near Foley. Fire officials say Voorheis’ son lives next door and called his dad Friday morning. After failing to reach his father, the son found his father on the floor near a bed that had been consumed by fire.

Firefighters arrived about 9 a.m., but the fire had gone out several hours before they were called.

Lincoln County Fire Protection District spokesman Barry Nuss says smoking materials were found near where the fire started. Family members said that Voorheis had smoked in bed.

No working smoke alarms were in the home. It sustained smoke damage throughout.

Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com

© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

KMOX Podcasts
As Heard On KMOX

Listen Live