Security Measures, Road Closures in St. Louis Begin For Holiday Weekend
ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOX) – The Metropolitan Police Department, City of St. Louis, (“the Department”) will have a contingent of several hundred officers detailed to the Downtown area to ensure the safety of the tens of thousands of people who will be attending Fair St. Louis during the
three-day event July 4, 5 and 6.
Officers will patrol both in uniform and in undercover capacities, in marked and unmarked vehicles as well as on foot, scooters and bicycles. There will be a significant police presence on and around the Arch grounds during the three-day event. We strongly encourage anyone who sees criminal or suspicious activity to alert a nearby officer or call 911.
Those driving to the Fair St. Louis festivities who choose to park on parking lots and in parking garages are urged to choose parking facilities that have attendants on-duty. Fair-goers are also reminded to “park smart”—that is to secure any valuables in the vehicle’s trunk prior to reaching the festivities, to park in well lit areas, and to secure their vehicles windows and doors. While these measures are no guarantee, they can certainly reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of vehicle-related crime.
Traffic delays are expected due to both street closures and the volume of people attending the scheduled events. Fair-goers traveling to the downtown area are encouraged to leave earlier to allow for extra time to arrive at their destinations. A listing of street closures is below.
For a complete listing of items that are permitted/prohibited on the Arch grounds as well as a schedule of Fair St. Louis events, please visit www.fairsaintlouis.org.
FAIR ST LOUIS – STREET CLOSURES
WEDNESDAY, JULY 3 at 6 a.m. to SUNDAY, JULY 7 at 9 a.m.
- Leonor K. Sullivan from Washington to Poplar
THURSDAY, JULY 4, at 9 a.m. to SUNDAY, JULY 7 at 9 a.m.
- Walnut from South Memorial to North Memorial
- Market from South Memorial to North Memorial
- Chestnut from South Memorial to North Memorial
- Pine from 4th to South Memorial
THURSDAY, JULY 4 at 4 a.m. to SUNDAY, JULY 7 at 9 a.m.
- Market from 4th to South Memorial
- Chestnut from 4th to South Memorial
- Northbound 44/55 at Memorial beginning at 9:00 A.M. on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 and continuing until 9:00 A.M on Sunday, July 7, 2013.
- Westbound I-70 from the Poplar Street Bridge to Memorial beginning at 9:00 A.M. on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 and continuing until 9:00 A.M on Sunday, July 7, 2013.
- Eastbound Highway 70 at Memorial/Pine beginning at 4:00 A.M. on Thursday, July 4, 2013 and continuing until 9:00 A.M. on Sunday, July 7, 2013.
- Westbound Highway 70 at Memorial/Pine beginning at 9:00 A.M. on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 and continuing until 9:00 A.M on Sunday, July 7, 2013.
- The Marion Exit ramp on Northbound I-55 (Soulard Area) will close at 9:00 A.M. on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 and continuing until 9:00 A.M on Sunday, July 7, 2013.
- The Eads Bridge will close at 6:00 A.M. on Thursday, July 4, 2013 and reopen on Saturday, July 6, 2013 at 10:00 P.M.
PARADE ROUTE – THURSDAY, JULY 4, 2013
At 9:30 a.m., the parade will begin:
East on Olive Street at N. 14th Street
Proceed North on Tucker Street to Washington Ave.
Proceed East on Washington Ave. to N. 4th Street
Proceed South on N. 4th Street to Market Street
Proceed West on Market Street to S. 8th Street/Disbanding