10-Year-Old Boy Dies After Being Engulfed In Flames Lighting Backyard Fire

EARLHAM, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a 10-year-old Iowa boy died after he was badly burned while using gasoline to make a backyard fire with his older brother.

The incident happened in the family’s backyard on Saturday near Earlham about 30 miles west of Des Moines.

The Madison County Sheriff’s office says the boy and his 13-year-old brother started a fire with gasoline from the garage. At some point, Chris Allsup poured the rest of the gas on the fire, and the flames engulfed the boy.

Allsup sustained burns on 91 percent of his body. He was flown to Iowa City for treatment but didn’t survive.

The boy’s father and grandfather were home at the time of the fire. Their mother was at work.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS St. Louis

KMOX Podcasts
As Heard On KMOX

Listen Live