Officials Still Haven’t Released Police Report 3 Months After Wrongful Death Suit
ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOX) – It’s been three months since the St. Louis Police Department was hit with a wrongful death lawsuit in connection with the death of a man allegedly shot by police over 20 times.
It’s the case of Cary Ball Jr., shot and killed by police after a high speed chase and crash downtown, during his arrest in the 1000 block of north 9th Street April 24th. Read More
At issue in the case: did he throw down his gun before police shot him?
Ball was carrying a handgun, according to both sides, when he ran from his crashed car. Police have said he pointed the gun at police and they fired on him in self defense.
Attorney Freeman Bosley Jr. who is representing the Ball family says he has four witnesses who will testify Ball had already thrown down his gun and was attempting to surrender when police shot him. (View his death certificate)
Bosley hopes police will hand over the police report and autopsy in the case “in a matter of weeks,” so the case can move forward. Adding that its taking police an “unusually long time.”
“They’ve had plenty of time in my view to investigate it. They’ve had plenty of time to talk to the persons involved,” he told KMOX.
Bosley says all the witnesses in the case are not related to the Ball family.
“They don’t know this family. They heard this accident and people came out. A lot of times when you have something like this nobody is around to see it,” he says.
KMOX left calls with the St. Louis Police Department, but they went unanswered Wednesday night.