Local

Scott AFB Contractor Dies in Apparent Suicide Attempt

View Comments
Photo: Facebook

Photo: Facebook

SHILOH, Ill. (KMOX) - A civilian contractor from Scott Air Force Base who shot himself last week has died.

The Air Force Office of Special Investigations, or OSI, tells KMOX News the unidentified man died last weekend after shooting himself September 25.

KMOX reached out to OSI and the FBI to find out if the investigation into the individual continues. The OSI referred KMOX to the FBI for further comment. An FBI spokesman replied in an email that he is not able to comment.

The 33-year-old man was a contractor with DISA, the Defense Information Systems Agency. Mascoutah Police discovered his body inside his car at about 8:30 a.m. after his girlfriend called police 40 minutes earlier to report he and his revolver were missing and he had left a note behind.

The man’s girlfriend reportedly told police that he was upset over some recent work-related issues but an OSI spokeswoman told KMOX News she was unaware that the suicide had anything to do with an investigation.

Mascoutah Police said, “We notified base officials like they would anyone else that there was an armed suicidal person who might be a threat to anyone that come into contact with.”

However, Mascoutah Police Chief Bruce Fleshren said he did not believe anyone at Scott was every in danger.

The OSI said in a statement Friday, “We have reached out to provide support to his grieving family as well as the members of our workforce, who truly feel a sense of loss.”

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,280 other followers