South St. Louis Student Sticks Others With Syringe
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – The parents of several kindergarten students at Monroe Elementary in south St. Louis have been told to see their doctor after they were stuck with a needle by a fellow student earlier this week.
It is not clear where the child obtained the needle and syringe. St. Louis City Health Director Pam Walker says St. Louis Public Schools reported the incident to her office immediately.
“We checked with the state to see if they would test the needle, they said they don’t test objects. But testing the needle would not be definitive anyway because viruses and bacteria don’t live very long on a needle,” Walker said.
Walker says it is a waiting game to see if any illnesses develop. Calls to St. Louis Public Schools and St. Louis Police were not immediately returned Thursday.
In the meantime, Walker advises the parents to have their children checked out by a doctor.
“If you get stuck by a needle and don’t know where it came from or what it might contain, go to your primary care provider and seek advice from them which could include just watching for symptoms or running a series of tests,” she said.