Metro Upgrades to Bendy, Articulated Buses
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Officials with Metro didn’t want to lay out lots of cash for brand new buses, but they needed to increase capacity.
The solution was an articulate one—as in pre-owned, 60-foot-long “articulated” buses that bend in the middle.
“The operating cost of this bus over the 40-foot bus it’s replacing is about 2 to 2 1/2 percent more, but the capacity is 22 percent greater,” says Metro Chief Operating Officer Ray Friem.
He says the longer buses will start serving the over-crowded “Grand Line” in early June, and they’ll eventually have 15 of them in the fleet.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Is There a Connection Between the Schweich, Jackson Suicides?
- Downtown St. Louis Rooftop Farm Begins Greenhouse Construction
- UPDATE: Missing Missouri Teen Found Unharmed In New Mexico
- Artist Buries Art Across St. Louis for Easter Hunt
- Police: At Least 20 Trucks Stolen as Part of Theft Ring
- Feds Frustrated with Slow Progress Solving Ferguson Arson