MetroLink Could Soon See Expansion
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – There’s been no expansion of the MetroLink light-rail system since 2006.
But that could change in the near future.
The group “Citizens for Modern Transit” is out with results of their feasibility study for a brand new light rail line through the Cortex area of Midtown, between the Central West End and Grand.
And the cost of creating the new route?
“The feasibility study is reporting that the capital cost to build this would be about $9.4 million,” says executive director Kim Cella.
There would be an additional $800,000 a year in maintenance costs.
Cella says the demand is there, and the area is seeing a lot of growth.
“In the past, people have said they don’t want that in their backyard,” she says. “But these stakeholders are asking and demanding that a new addition to the light-rail system has huge potential for the whole region.”
Metro, the East West Gateway Council, and the Federal Transit Authority must still sign off on the plan.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- DOJ Releases Scathing Report on St. Louis County Family Court
- St. Louis Fire Capt: Drones Would Help Save Lives
- 2 Bicycle Officers Introduced in St. Louis City
- New Study Reveals Alzheimer’s Risk in Later Years
- Live TV Exorcism in St. Louis to Air in October
- Fitch: Prosecutor in Cincinnati Case Too Quick With Charges