Smaller Guns Popular Among Concealed Carry Permit Holders
Get Breaking News First
ILLINOIS (KMOX) - After acquiring their new concealed carry permits, thousands of Metro-East residents are going shopping for a new, or maybe their first, weapon.
So, what are they buying?
Local gun shops say the weapons new permit owners are taking home tend to be smaller.
“We do see a lot of influx in the more compact guns that are easier to conceal,” says Elements Firearms Chief Instructor Allen Keilmann.
He says the keys are how it fits and feels, and how well can you operate it.
Piasa Armory owner Scott Pulaski agrees the fashion trend is toward smaller handguns, but says there’s more to it than just size.
“Concealment is really all about what kind of holster you wear, and what kind of clothing you wear with it,” he says. “It becomes more of a lifestyle than most people think. You have to really plan your outfit around what you’re doing.”
Pulaski says most men are choosing semi-automatic, while women are as likely to choose revolvers.
Waller Gun Club owner Marty Weller says when it comes to brands, it’s kind of like cars.
“You’re either dedicated to Chevy, Ford or Dodge,” he says. “A lot of people are dedicated to Smith & Wesson or Remington.”
Waller says no single brand has seen a surge in sales since conceal carry became law.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Some Want Clarification on EPA’s Call That Bridgeton Athletic Complex Safe for Use
- Increase in Beef Cost Could Stick Around Until Fall 2016
- New Washington University Development Includes Grocery and Diner
- PHOTOS: Police Search for Suspects in Fatal Shooting of Grandmother Caught in Crossfire
- Troy Man Charged in Dispute Over Abused Cat
- Female Passenger Killed After Driver Suffered Medical Problem