Webster U. Celebrating 2nd Straight Chess Title
Get Breaking News First
WEBSTER GROVES, Mo. (AP) - The University of Connecticut may be celebrating a basketball championship, but Webster University in suburban St. Louis is celebrating back-to-back titles in chess.
The Webster Groves, Mo.-based university took first place, earning the President’s Cup, in a national championship tournament over the weekend in New York. Webster University won with 9.5 points. The University of Maryland-Baltimore County was second with 7 points, followed by Texas Tech with 6.5 points and the University of Illinois with 1 point.
It was the fourth title in four years for Webster coach Susan Polgar. She led Texas Tech to two championships before coaching at Webster for the past two years.
Webster was undefeated in matches this season, going 9-0.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Expert: Primaries Often More Important Than General Elections
- Fisherman Catches Alligator in Missouri Pond
- Gov. Nixon: Illegal Immigrant Children Don’t Strain State Resources
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in South City Shooting
- Woman Admits Collecting Dead Mother’s Checks
- VIDEO: Troupe of Circus Harmony Acrobats Home After Extended Stay in Israel