WEBSTER GROVES, Mo. (AP) – The University of Connecticut may be celebrating a basketball championship, but Webster University in suburban St. Louis is celebrating back-to-back titles in chess.
The Webster Groves, Mo.-based university took first place, earning the President’s Cup, in a national championship tournament over the weekend in New York. Webster University won with 9.5 points. The University of Maryland-Baltimore County was second with 7 points, followed by Texas Tech with 6.5 points and the University of Illinois with 1 point.
It was the fourth title in four years for Webster coach Susan Polgar. She led Texas Tech to two championships before coaching at Webster for the past two years.
Webster was undefeated in matches this season, going 9-0.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- VIDEO: Blues Have Similar Advantage Over Nashville With Hutton, As Minnesota With Yeo
- Dog Rescued By High-Schoolers From Abandoned Building on the Mend
- New Plan to Remove Confederate Monument in Forest Park
- Suspect in Custody After Illinois Teen’s Beating Death
- Jefferson County To Debate Prescription Drug Database Bills
- Northwest Missouri Jury Will Hear Pamela Hupp’s Trial