WEBSTER GROVES, Mo. (AP) – The University of Connecticut may be celebrating a basketball championship, but Webster University in suburban St. Louis is celebrating back-to-back titles in chess.
The Webster Groves, Mo.-based university took first place, earning the President’s Cup, in a national championship tournament over the weekend in New York. Webster University won with 9.5 points. The University of Maryland-Baltimore County was second with 7 points, followed by Texas Tech with 6.5 points and the University of Illinois with 1 point.
It was the fourth title in four years for Webster coach Susan Polgar. She led Texas Tech to two championships before coaching at Webster for the past two years.
Webster was undefeated in matches this season, going 9-0.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Police: Autopsy Findings Confirm 18-Year-Old Killed Self
- Saint Louis Zoo Defends Its Ban On Guns
- Supreme Court Tosses St. Louis Murder Convictions for Man on Death Row
- World’s Largest Catsup Bottle Will Remain As-Is In Collinsville
- Lawsuit Seeks to Restore Parental Rights in Lost Baby Case
- Minority Police Group to Declare ‘No Confidence’ in Chief Dotson