Viral Video by SLU Students Helps Homeless Man Find a Home
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - The homeless man who was helped by SLU students now has a place to call home.
A video uploaded to YouTube shows SLU basketball player Austin McBroom and his friend Blake Carelli picking up Michael Chaney from a downtown sidewalk on Sunday. Then, they treated him to lunch, a haircut, and some new clothes.
Chaney, 34, now has a room at the care facility Carondelet Manor in South St. Louis.
“We’re hoping to reestablish some family connections and get him even more on his feet with a job and hopefully into his own place down the road as well,” says Katie Thumann with “Places for People.”
She says Chaney is grateful to those who’ve helped him and excited to start looking for work. He wants to stay in St. Louis.
“He hasn’t been sleeping well in the shelters he’s been in, so he’s looking forward to having a safe place where he can shut the door and take a nap,” Thumann says.
The YouTube video has since received more than 80,000 hits.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Taxicab Commission Clears Way for Uber; Lyft Trial Delayed
- 4 Members of Congress Send Letter to EPA Over West Lake Landfill
- Contracts for Development of Northern End of Arch Grounds Out for Bid
- Fairview Heights Police Investigating String of Car Break-Ins
- Blood, Platelet Donations Needed at Red Cross
- 39 Chihuahuas, Small Mixed Breed Dogs Rescued By Humane Society