Sheriff: Woman Brought Cocaine into Illinois Jail
EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A Mississippi woman is facing charges for allegedly bringing cocaine into an Illinois county jail.
Kelsey Elizabeth Lewis is a 24-year-old woman from Vicksburg, Miss. Madison County Sheriff Robert Hertz says Lewis was charged Friday with bringing contraband into a penal institution and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.
Police say they placed Lewis in a holding cell at the Madison County Jail on Thursday night, prior to her formal processing. Police say a jail deputy allegedly noticed Lewis acting suspiciously, entered the cell and found a small package containing cocaine allegedly belonging to Lewis.
Lewis remains in custody at the county jail in Edwardsville, the Belleville News-Democrat reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Small Business Retirement Plans in the Hands of Lobbyists
- Same-Sex Marriage Could Gain Ground
- 11 Webster Groves Teachers Laid Off
- Dotson Mindful of Potential Threats
- Mayor Slay Responds to Probation for Gun Felons
- UPDATED: Officer-Involved Shooting at Ridge and Academy