EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A Mississippi woman is facing charges for allegedly bringing cocaine into an Illinois county jail.
Kelsey Elizabeth Lewis is a 24-year-old woman from Vicksburg, Miss. Madison County Sheriff Robert Hertz says Lewis was charged Friday with bringing contraband into a penal institution and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.
Police say they placed Lewis in a holding cell at the Madison County Jail on Thursday night, prior to her formal processing. Police say a jail deputy allegedly noticed Lewis acting suspiciously, entered the cell and found a small package containing cocaine allegedly belonging to Lewis.
Lewis remains in custody at the county jail in Edwardsville, the Belleville News-Democrat reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- ACLU of Missouri Sues Health Dept. Over Lab Results
- Lawsuit: Rauner Met About Investments While In Office
- St. Louis County Council Pushes Back Meeting Start Time
- SLUH Grad Takes Helm of St. Louis FBI
- Ameren Seeks Support For Plan That Would Change Way Rate Hikes Approved
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth Is Pregnant With 2nd Child