EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A Mississippi woman is facing charges for allegedly bringing cocaine into an Illinois county jail.
Kelsey Elizabeth Lewis is a 24-year-old woman from Vicksburg, Miss. Madison County Sheriff Robert Hertz says Lewis was charged Friday with bringing contraband into a penal institution and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.
Police say they placed Lewis in a holding cell at the Madison County Jail on Thursday night, prior to her formal processing. Police say a jail deputy allegedly noticed Lewis acting suspiciously, entered the cell and found a small package containing cocaine allegedly belonging to Lewis.
Lewis remains in custody at the county jail in Edwardsville, the Belleville News-Democrat reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Missouri Legislators Debate: To Drink, Or Not To Drink At Airport Gates?
- Pence Promises Good Times Ahead for Small Businesses
- PHOTOS: CityArchRiver Continues Progress at Arch Grounds, Kiener Plaza
- McDonald’s to Offer $1 Sodas After Customer Visits Decline
- VP Pence Joins Gov. Greitens at Jewish Cemetery Clean-Up
- Powerball Jackpot Tops $400 Million for 1st Time in Months