EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A Mississippi woman is facing charges for allegedly bringing cocaine into an Illinois county jail.
Kelsey Elizabeth Lewis is a 24-year-old woman from Vicksburg, Miss. Madison County Sheriff Robert Hertz says Lewis was charged Friday with bringing contraband into a penal institution and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.
Police say they placed Lewis in a holding cell at the Madison County Jail on Thursday night, prior to her formal processing. Police say a jail deputy allegedly noticed Lewis acting suspiciously, entered the cell and found a small package containing cocaine allegedly belonging to Lewis.
Lewis remains in custody at the county jail in Edwardsville, the Belleville News-Democrat reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Lindbergh School Superintendent Meets With Student Demonstrators
- At Least 10,000 Shoppers Expected to Attend Gypsy Caravan
- Metro East Officials Still Fighting for NGA West HQ
- It’s Real and It’s Here — Fitz’s Hard Root Beer
- One Reason Women in Abusive Situations Don’t Leave? Their Pets.
- Chronic Itching – Is It All Just in Your Head?