Sheriff: Woman Brought Cocaine into Illinois Jail
Get Breaking News First
EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) - A Mississippi woman is facing charges for allegedly bringing cocaine into an Illinois county jail.
Kelsey Elizabeth Lewis is a 24-year-old woman from Vicksburg, Miss. Madison County Sheriff Robert Hertz says Lewis was charged Friday with bringing contraband into a penal institution and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.
Police say they placed Lewis in a holding cell at the Madison County Jail on Thursday night, prior to her formal processing. Police say a jail deputy allegedly noticed Lewis acting suspiciously, entered the cell and found a small package containing cocaine allegedly belonging to Lewis.
Lewis remains in custody at the county jail in Edwardsville, the Belleville News-Democrat reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Animal Control: Dog Thrown From Vehicle on Highway
- Gov. Pat Quinn Open to Helping Out Children Who Fled Central America
- Archaeologists in Bloomington Discover a Bit of Local History Tied to Honest Abe
- Chinese Lantern Festival to Return to Missouri Botanical Garden
- Dozens Turn Out for Holiday Inn Express Job Fair
- Last Day to Request an Absentee Ballot