ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – A local liver specialist is thrilled with a new and effective treatment for Hepatitis C.
SLU Care liver specialist Dr. Adrian Di Bisceglie co-authored an online New England Journal of Medicine article about the treatment.
He says it’s a combination of two medicines in one pill, taken once a day for three months.
A cure rate of up to 95 percent.
And that, he says, could prevent the risk of developing progressive liver disease, decrease the risk of liver cancer and possibly cut down on the number of liver transplants needed in the United States.
Di Bisceglie says the pill should be available by the end of the year.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE HEALTH NEWS:
- Illinois Ordered to Rethink Medical Marijuana for Migraines
- A Gift Certificate…for a Kidney?
- SLU Doctors Test More Universal Yellow Fever Vaccine
- About 60 Farm Workers Treated After Exposure to Pesticides
- WalletHub: St. Louis is 15th Most Stressed City in US
- Tire Removal in Illinois to Target Virus-Carrying Mosquitoes