ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) – An investigation continues after a St. Charles police officer shot and killed a man who allegedly approached police with a weapon.
Police were called to a home Wednesday night. Witnesses said the 52-year-old man was threatening people and setting off fireworks.
As officers approached, the man allegedly threatened them with a weapon police did not say what kind of weapon. Authorities say the officers tried to convince the suspect to put down the weapon but he made another threat, then advanced toward the officers.
An officer shot the suspect, who was taken to a hospital and died. No one else was hurt.
The suspect’s name has not been released. The officer involved in the shooting is a 13-year-veteran. He is on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- FBI Teaches Illinois Teens Proper Traffic Stop Response
- Friday Night Shooting Leaves One Dead in North St. Louis
- Bullet Strikes Motorist at S. Kingshighway and Oakland
- Man Sought For Using Cloned Credit Card
- Authorities Investigate Cause of Man’s Bullet Wound
- Clowns: Beloved Circus Character or Creepy Creature?