Left Bank Books Closing Downtown Location
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – The rising cost of rent is shutting down the last book store in downtown St. Louis.
Left Bank Books Co-owner Kris Kleindienst says the downtown location, which opened in 2008, was popular with bookbuyers, but going forward, they couldn’t come to terms with the landlord.
“There’s a direct correlation,” she says. “You have to sell enough books to pay your overhead, and costs were necessarily going to be more going forward. The numbers were good for us, but it just became clear that it would take a lot longer than we could wait for.”
Left Bank Books will continue to operate its flagship store in the Central West End. The downtown store is planning a clearance sale and will close sometime in May.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Nixon Commutes Life Sentence For Man Convicted On Marijuana-Related Charges
- Woman Killed With Children in Car
- Police Find Drugs, Stolen Items After High Speed Chase
- Suspect Loses Shirt in Attempted Robbery
- St. Charles Carjacker Sought After Chase
- Man Arrested for Stealing Socks, Former Neighbor Weighs In