Fairmount Park Officials Push Slot Machine Legislation
COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (KMOX) - Legislation in Illinois would allow slot machines at all horse racing tracks except Fairmount Park, where the mood is teetering on gloom.
Executive Director of the Illinois Horseman’s Benevolent and Protective Association Lanny Brooks says there are powerful forces in favor of not letting Fairmount have slot machines.
Brooks points to the Casino Queen, which he says, fears it would lose money and to East St. Louis which would in turn lose money because it gets a big chunk of its budget from the Queen.
He says the one thing Fairmount has going for it is that horsemen across the state oppose the legislation.
Brooks says lawmakers need to think this over.
“Does any legislator really want to be proud of the fact that they’ve caused a thousand jobs to be gone?” he said.
Brooks was a guest on the Mark Reardon show.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Politicians React to Death of Mo. Auditor Tom Schweich
- Police Looking for Stolen Car Involved in Half-Dozen Chases
- UPDATE: Missouri Auditor Schweich Dead In Apparent Suicide
- Anti-Defamation League Sounds Warning About White Supremacists in Mo. Prisons
- Red Cross: Harsh Winter Depleting Blood Donations
- Area Housing Market Off to Good Start in 2015