Fairmount Park Officials Push Slot Machine Legislation
Get Breaking News First
COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (KMOX) - Legislation in Illinois would allow slot machines at all horse racing tracks except Fairmount Park, where the mood is teetering on gloom.
Executive Director of the Illinois Horseman’s Benevolent and Protective Association Lanny Brooks says there are powerful forces in favor of not letting Fairmount have slot machines.
Brooks points to the Casino Queen, which he says, fears it would lose money and to East St. Louis which would in turn lose money because it gets a big chunk of its budget from the Queen.
He says the one thing Fairmount has going for it is that horsemen across the state oppose the legislation.
Brooks says lawmakers need to think this over.
“Does any legislator really want to be proud of the fact that they’ve caused a thousand jobs to be gone?” he said.
Brooks was a guest on the Mark Reardon show.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Report Released Outlining Recorder of Deeds Nepotism Scandal
- Ferguson Unveils New Community Center
- Police: Crime Numbers Up in Tower Grove
- UPDATE: 4-Year-Old Shot By 5-Year-Old Cousin
- Construction on Pace for O’Fallon Renewable Energy Center
- ‘Ferguson Forward’ to Provide Early Childhood Education, Youth Jobs, College Scholarships