Teamsters Union Calls on Bill Gates for West Lake Landfill Cleanup
Get Breaking News First
BRIDGETON, Mo. (KMOX) - The Teamsters Union is lobbying billionaire Bill Gates to support the total cleanup of radioactive waste from the West Lake Landfill.
Chuck Stiles, the Assistant Director of the Teamsters Solid Waste Division, says the group is targeting Gates because he is the biggest shareholder in Republic Services, controlling 25 percent of the stock.
But so far, he’s not returning their calls.
“We’ve heard no response from Bill Gates, we’ve heard no response from his people who act on his behalf, and to me it’s just unbelievable that here he preaches all over the world about this, and then he’s letting Bridgeton become this,” he says.
Stiles says it’s inconsistent for Gates to promote environmental and human health around the world, while remaining silent on the Bridgeton landfill.
“We hear about his drinking water, clean air, inside toilets, malaria—all of this stuff he’s fighting—and then in his own backyard, in a company he is heavily invested in, this happens,” he says. “He’s got the pull, he knows how to get this done.”
KMOX left a message for Bill Gates through his charitable agency, the Gates Foundation. He has not responded.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- SSM Parting Ways With Neurosurgeon Who Operated on Wrong Side of Woman’s Brain
- Fire Department Takes Closer Look at Food Trucks After Philly Explosion
- Suspect in String of Car Break-Ins Arrested
- UPDATE: Suspect Charged in Fatal North St. Louis Stabbing
- Dooley Campaign Tweets Accuse Stenger Of ‘Making Deals with Hobby Lobby’
- MoDOT: ‘In No Way Involved’ in Amendment Seven Campaigning