Once-Doomed Bear Cub Now at St. Louis Zoo
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (AP) - Boo Boo, the 3-month-old bear cub who created a brief rabies scare after nipping college students, has a new home at the St. Louis Zoo. Meanwhile, conservation officials are investigating how the bear was allowed contact with humans in the first place, in apparent violation of state law.
Zoo spokeswoman Susan Gallagher said Wednesday that Boo Boo will be quarantined for 30 days while veterinarians perform various health-related tests and a nutritionist works with his diet. After that, a determination will be made if he should remain at the St. Louis Zoo or be placed in another zoo.
Boo Boo was part of a petting zoo brought to Washington University during finals week. His bites broke the skin of 18 students, but state officials are confident he doesn’t have rabies.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Developer’s Memorandum Renewal for Normandy Collaborative Pushed Back
- The Mark Reardon Show – 7/28/14 – Bill McKenna, David Stokes, Tom Shrout, Jason Segedy
- Humane Society: Right to Farm Would Protect Puppy Mill Owners
- Pi Pizza Expanding to Miami
- Illinois Communities Scramble to Find Road Salt
- Ballwin Woman Sentenced in Medicare Fraud