Mom Charged After Baby Found Alone in Hotel Room
CASEYVILLE, Ill. (AP) – A southern Illinois woman is charged with child endangerment after police say they found her infant alone in a hotel room on Mother’s Day while she was intoxicated in a hallway.
The Belleville News-Democrat reports St. Clair County prosecutors charged 35-year-old Jennifer Hawes of Sorento after her arrest Sunday at a hotel in Caseyville.
Police say that officers responding to the hotel manager’s report of a crying baby knocked on Hawes’ room door but got no answer. Investigators say officers found the 10-month-old boy alone in the room and an intoxicated Hawes in the hallway.
The baby was turned over to state child-welfare advocates.
Hawes does not have a listed home telephone number. Online court records don’t show whether she has an attorney.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Police Seek Curly’s Corner Market Thief
- Corrections Officer Shot During Robbery
- Man Shot During St. Louis County Carjacking
- Charges Filed Against a St. Louis Man Who Shot Driver
- Tale of Two Cities – Report Shows Racial Divide in St. Louis
- Crimestoppers Limited by Fears of Hushed Witnesses