FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. (KMOX) – He received a Bronze Star for his deployments in the Middle East, but now a former Army drill sergeant is facing a possible court-martial for sexually assaulting several female soldiers there and at Fort Leonard Wood.
In several cases, prosecutors say Staff Sgt. Angel Sanchez threatened his victims, telling at least one that she would be kicked out of the Army if she didn’t go along.
According to the Washington Post, Sanchez raped one female service member and sexually harassed others in Afghanistan in 2011 and 2012. He then assaulted several others at Fort Leonard Wood in 2013.
Several of his alleged victims testified at a pre-trial hearing at Fort Leonard Wood yesterday. Afterwards, his lawyer questioned the credibility of the witnesses and the government’s case.
Sanchez is no longer a drill sergeant, but is on office duty.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- St. Charles County Passes Prescription Drug Monitoring Program
- Suburban St. Louis Firefighter Found Unresponsive Dies
- Split Crowd at KMOX’s Debate Watch Party
- Man, Woman Hospitalized After Attack Near Their Home
- Hearing to Discuss Preparations for Zika in Illinois
- Food Allergies: The Deadly Dish Part 2