Top 5 Calls Of Jack Buck’s Career – Which One Is The Best?
Well, really…we’re looking for the second best call of Jack Buck’s career. After much debate and discussion, the KMOX Sports Team has decided that the best Jack Buck call of all time is Ozzie Smith’s NLCS Game 5 winning home run from October 14, 1985: “Smith corks one into right, down the line! It may go! Go crazy, folks! Go crazy! It’s a home run! And the Cardinals have won the game…by the score of 3-2…on a home run by the Wizard! Go crazy!”
It’s an iconic call and we believe it’s the best.
But of all of Jack’s famous calls, what comes in as the second best? That’s where you come in. We’ve picked the top 5 and we need you to help us pick a winner. Vote for your favorite call in the poll below.
1. August 14, 1971 – Bob Gibson throws a no-hitter in the Cardinals’ 11-0 win at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh: “And Gibson is one strike away from the no-hitter. He takes off his cap. He mops his brow. He looks in and gets the sign. He starts the wind-up. Here’s the pitch and it’s a strike called! A no-hitter for Gibson! Simmons roars to the mound, embraces Gibson who is engulfed by his teammates…as the Cardinals win the game, 11-0!”
2. September 10, 1974 – Lou Brock breaks the single-season record with his 105th stolen base against the Phillies: “Brock takes the lead. Ruthven checks him. He is…going! The pitch is a strike, the throw…he is there! He did it! 105 for Lou Brock!”
3. October 16, 1985 – Jack Clark’s three-run home run gives the Cardinals a ninth-inning lead in Game 6 of the 1985 NLCS at Dodger Stadium: “The Dodger righthander is set and here’s his pitch to Jack Clark. Swing and a long one into left field! Adios, goodbye and maybe that’s a winner! A three-run homer by Clark! And the Cardinals lead by the score of 7-5…and they may go to the World Series on that one, folks!”
4. October 15, 1988 – Kirk Gibson’s dramatic home run to win Game 1 of the World Series against the A’s at Dodger Stadium: “Gibson…swings and a fly ball to deep right field. This is gonna be a home run….unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don’t believe what I just saw!”
5. October 26, 1991 – Kirby Puckett’s 11th-inning home run for the Twins wins Game 6 of the 1991 World Series against the Braves: “Into deep left center…for Mitchell…and we’ll see you…tomorrow night!”
Which one of these five calls is the best? The votes are in and KMOX.com users have selected:
Kirk Gibson’s dramatic home run to win Game 1 of the World Series against the A’s at Dodger Stadium: “Gibson…swings and a fly ball to deep right field. This is gonna be a home run….unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don’t believe what I just saw!”
Coming in just a few votes behind was Jack Clark’s three-run home run in Game 6 of the 1985 NLCS at Dodger Stadium.