ST. CLAIR COUNTY, Ill. (KMOX) – A Belleville woman who police say falsely claimed she was battling ovarian cancer to collect money has been charged with two counts of felony theft.
Police say the community rallied around Alissa Jackson, 31, holding several fundraisers for “Alissa’s Army” to support her and her family.
Citizens, who said her stories were contradictory, alerted police.
They investigated and determined Jackson’s claims of terminal cancer were untrue.
Jackson’s bond was set at $100,000.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Homicide Detectives Staying Busy In St. Louis
- Major Case Squad Called in for Collinsville, IL Killing
- Arrest Made In St. Louis Kidnapping Case
- Body Found In Missouri River Identified, Suspect in Custody
- Police Call It ‘Assassination,’ Ask for Public’s Help Solving Teen’s Murder
- Police Say Man Killed by Officers after Florissant Disturbance