ST. CLAIR COUNTY, Ill. (KMOX) – A Belleville woman who police say falsely claimed she was battling ovarian cancer to collect money has been charged with two counts of felony theft.
Police say the community rallied around Alissa Jackson, 31, holding several fundraisers for “Alissa’s Army” to support her and her family.
Citizens, who said her stories were contradictory, alerted police.
They investigated and determined Jackson’s claims of terminal cancer were untrue.
Jackson’s bond was set at $100,000.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Two Accused of Hate Crime After Throwing Eggs
- Man Pleads Guilty to Murder of Jennings Woman
- One Man Killed in North St. Louis Hit and Run
- Missouri Man Sentenced to 527 Years for Child Sexual Abuse
- Authorities Searching for Missouri Woman
- ‘Good Samaritan’ Bill Becomes Law in St. Louis