ST. CLAIR COUNTY, Ill. (KMOX) – A Belleville woman who police say falsely claimed she was battling ovarian cancer to collect money has been charged with two counts of felony theft.
Police say the community rallied around Alissa Jackson, 31, holding several fundraisers for “Alissa’s Army” to support her and her family.
Citizens, who said her stories were contradictory, alerted police.
They investigated and determined Jackson’s claims of terminal cancer were untrue.
Jackson’s bond was set at $100,000.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Three Injured in Drive-By Shooting in Ferguson
- Family Wants Response to an Officer-Involved Shooting Last Summer
- Man Involved in Carondelet Park Shootout Faces Multiple Charges
- Vigil For Woman Fatally Struck By Hit & Run Driver In 2012
- Local DEA Pushes Bill for Prescription Drug Monitoring Program
- Knock, Knock — Door-to-Door Prescription Collection Effort Underway