ST. CLAIR COUNTY, Ill. (KMOX) – A Belleville woman who police say falsely claimed she was battling ovarian cancer to collect money has been charged with two counts of felony theft.
Police say the community rallied around Alissa Jackson, 31, holding several fundraisers for “Alissa’s Army” to support her and her family.
Citizens, who said her stories were contradictory, alerted police.
They investigated and determined Jackson’s claims of terminal cancer were untrue.
Jackson’s bond was set at $100,000.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Suspected Heroin Supplier’s Plea Agreement Nixed
- Death Penalty Possible in St. Louis County Officer’s Killing
- Police: Stranger Chokes Baby at Kansas City-Area Walmart
- Forster Pleads Not Guilty in Fatal Shooting of Officer
- Humane Society Rescues Starving Horses, Mules in Sullivan Co.
- $900 in Halloween Decorations Stolen From Yard in Kirkwood