ST. CLAIR COUNTY, Ill. (KMOX) – A Belleville woman who police say falsely claimed she was battling ovarian cancer to collect money has been charged with two counts of felony theft.
Police say the community rallied around Alissa Jackson, 31, holding several fundraisers for “Alissa’s Army” to support her and her family.
Citizens, who said her stories were contradictory, alerted police.
They investigated and determined Jackson’s claims of terminal cancer were untrue.
Jackson’s bond was set at $100,000.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Police to Carry Anti-Overdose Drugs for Dogs
- Police Search for Driver Who Swerved at Officer
- UPDATE: Governor-Elect Eric Greitens’ Wife Robbed at Gunpoint
- East St. Louis Corruption Investigation Leads to Arrests
- Police: County Man Claims He’s Affiliated with ISIS, Threatens Workplace
- Woman Charged with DWI, Involuntary Manslaughter After Fatal Crash