JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) – U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill has canceled a planned trip to France for D-Day events because her husband is ill.
McCaskill’s office said Thursday that her husband was admitted to a hospital to treat an infection and is being kept overnight for observation.
As a result, McCaskill decided not to attend the 70th anniversary events commemorating the D-Day invasion in Normandy, France. The Allied forces invaded Western Europe during World War II on June 6, 1944.
McCaskill would have been the most senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee to attend the ceremonies. Her father was a World War II veteran.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- Could This Year’s Election Cause Friendship Break-Ups?
- Supporters of Greitens, Koster Trade Jabs at Dueling Events
- Early Voting Kicks Off in Illinois
- Krewson For Mayor Opens Campaign Headquarters
- Discrimination Against Nixon Delayed as More Cases Surface
- Heavy Absentee Voting Expected in St. Louis County