JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) – U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill has canceled a planned trip to France for D-Day events because her husband is ill.
McCaskill’s office said Thursday that her husband was admitted to a hospital to treat an infection and is being kept overnight for observation.
As a result, McCaskill decided not to attend the 70th anniversary events commemorating the D-Day invasion in Normandy, France. The Allied forces invaded Western Europe during World War II on June 6, 1944.
McCaskill would have been the most senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee to attend the ceremonies. Her father was a World War II veteran.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- East St. Louis Struggles to Solve Underfunded Pensions
- City Government Audit up for Debate
- FCC Votes Along Party Lines to End ‘Net Neutrality’
- Kentucky Lawmaker Commits Suicide Following Sexual Assault Allegations
- In Touching Clip, Joe Biden Comforts Meghan McCain Over Father’s Cancer Battle
- St. Louis County Council Discuss Budget Changes, Merger