Festus Man Holds Children Hostage after Police Chase
FESTUS, Mo. (KMOX) - A Festus man is in jail after allegedly holding two young children hostage after leading police on a chase in a stolen car.
The chase started after the 24-year-old showed up at the Steak ‘n Shake in Festus waving a gun.
Police Chief Tim Lewis says officers pursued him until he crashed the car taken from the Hardees in DeSoto into a church. The suspect then ran to a distant female relative’s apartment in the Festus Garden complex.
“The lady who was in the apartment he went into came outside and said, ‘My babies are in here, and he won’t let them out,'” he says. “We get her into safety, have a perimeter set up and start talking to him, saying ‘Why don’t you let the kids go.'”
A half hour later, after saying he didn’t want the two children, ages one and two and a half, to get hurt, the man released them.
Then, after saying, “Today’s a good day to die,” the man surrendered. Lewis says the gun turned out to be a pellet pistol.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- Gov. Nixon Appoints John Watson as Interim State Auditor
- Funeral for Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich Set for Tuesday
- Missouri Auditor’s Office Open for Business Following Death
- UPDATED: Schweich Wanted to Discuss Accusations Against Mo. Republican Party Chairman
- Politicians React to Death of Mo. Auditor Tom Schweich
- UPDATE: Missouri Auditor Schweich Dead In Apparent Suicide