FESTUS, Mo. (KMOX) – A Festus man is in jail after allegedly holding two young children hostage after leading police on a chase in a stolen car.
The chase started after the 24-year-old showed up at the Steak ‘n Shake in Festus waving a gun.
Police Chief Tim Lewis says officers pursued him until he crashed the car taken from the Hardees in DeSoto into a church. The suspect then ran to a distant female relative’s apartment in the Festus Garden complex.
“The lady who was in the apartment he went into came outside and said, ‘My babies are in here, and he won’t let them out,'” he says. “We get her into safety, have a perimeter set up and start talking to him, saying ‘Why don’t you let the kids go.'”
A half hour later, after saying he didn’t want the two children, ages one and two and a half, to get hurt, the man released them.
Then, after saying, “Today’s a good day to die,” the man surrendered. Lewis says the gun turned out to be a pellet pistol.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE POLITICS NEWS:
- Ethical Society of Police Says There’s a Problem With Chief Dotson
- Family Members Accept Yogi Berra’s Medal Of Freedom
- Minority Police Group to Declare ‘No Confidence’ in Chief Dotson
- Durbin Wants Rauner to Meet The Refugees
- Report: Missouri’s Unemployment Rate Drops Slightly
- More Parolees Released in Ill. with Far Less Funding for Programs