MANCHESTER, Mo. (AP) – A soldier from eastern Missouri who died in Afghanistan will be laid to rest.
The funeral for 20-year-old Pfc. Matthew Walker is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Manchester United Methodist Church in Manchester.
Walker died June 5 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, after his unit was hit by enemy fire. KSDK-TV reports his body arrived in St. Louis on Saturday.
Gov. Jay Nixon has ordered that flags across the state be flown at half-staff Monday in Walker’s honor.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Missouri’s ‘Dump Trump’ Leader Says Effort Is About Saving the GOP
- Hackers Will Attempt to Solve Homelessness for $1 Million
- Missouri Senator Receives Death Threats on Twitter
- Personal Firework Shows Banned in Illinois
- Woman Charged in Quick Trip Stabbing Death
- Illinois Road Projects to Halt in Face of Budget Impasse