Missouri Soldier to Be Laid to Rest
Get Breaking News First
MANCHESTER, Mo. (AP) - A soldier from eastern Missouri who died in Afghanistan will be laid to rest.
The funeral for 20-year-old Pfc. Matthew Walker is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Manchester United Methodist Church in Manchester.
Walker died June 5 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, after his unit was hit by enemy fire. KSDK-TV reports his body arrived in St. Louis on Saturday.
Gov. Jay Nixon has ordered that flags across the state be flown at half-staff Monday in Walker’s honor.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- POLL: Fewer Than Half Of Americans Satisfied With Obama’s Response To Ferguson Shooting
- Groups Meeting Tonight to Plan Future Peaceful Protests
- How Much Will Police Response in Ferguson Cost Taxpayers?
- Several Outcomes Possible From Grand Jury, DOJ Investigations in Michael Brown Case
- Report: Illinois Has Lower Teen Birth Rate Than Missouri
- Political Scientist: Alderman Antonio French is ‘Strong Advocate’ for People of Ferguson