Missouri Soldier to Be Laid to Rest
MANCHESTER, Mo. (AP) - A soldier from eastern Missouri who died in Afghanistan will be laid to rest.
The funeral for 20-year-old Pfc. Matthew Walker is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Manchester United Methodist Church in Manchester.
Walker died June 5 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, after his unit was hit by enemy fire. KSDK-TV reports his body arrived in St. Louis on Saturday.
Gov. Jay Nixon has ordered that flags across the state be flown at half-staff Monday in Walker’s honor.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Source: Federal Report Finds Racial Bias in City of Ferguson
- Danforth Eulogy Calls Out Campaign Attacks During Schweich’s Funeral
- State Officials, Missourians Show Support for Fort Leonard Wood
- Milwaukee Sheriff: ‘Race-Obsessed’ Holder Looks to ‘Put Ferguson on His Mantle’
- Midday Check on St. Louis Municipal Primary Shows Few Problems
- U.S. Considers Banning Type of Popular Rifle Ammunition