MANCHESTER, Mo. (AP) – A soldier from eastern Missouri who died in Afghanistan will be laid to rest.
The funeral for 20-year-old Pfc. Matthew Walker is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Manchester United Methodist Church in Manchester.
Walker died June 5 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, after his unit was hit by enemy fire. KSDK-TV reports his body arrived in St. Louis on Saturday.
Gov. Jay Nixon has ordered that flags across the state be flown at half-staff Monday in Walker’s honor.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Salvation Army Weathering Difficult Holiday Season
- Clayton HS Student Brought Loaded Gun to School
- Heroin Crisis Plays Role in St. Charles Co. Sales Tax Holiday Discussions
- 2 Dead in Possible Murder-Suicide in Fenton
- Time Taking Major Toll On Shuttered Jamestown Mall
- Lawsuit Filed Against City of St. Louis by Lambert Airport Police Officers