MANCHESTER, Mo. (AP) – A soldier from eastern Missouri who died in Afghanistan will be laid to rest.
The funeral for 20-year-old Pfc. Matthew Walker is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Manchester United Methodist Church in Manchester.
Walker died June 5 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, after his unit was hit by enemy fire. KSDK-TV reports his body arrived in St. Louis on Saturday.
Gov. Jay Nixon has ordered that flags across the state be flown at half-staff Monday in Walker’s honor.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Beer run! Self-Driving Truck Complete 120-Plus Mile Delivery
- Ballpark Village Phase II Plans Unveiled
- Carjacking Suspect Killed Following Police Pursuit
- New Measure Seeks to Put Cap on Campaign Contributions
- New Recommendations to Help Parents Prevent SIDS
- Public Forum Comes to St. Louis City Ahead of November Election