MANCHESTER, Mo. (AP) – A soldier from eastern Missouri who died in Afghanistan will be laid to rest.
The funeral for 20-year-old Pfc. Matthew Walker is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Manchester United Methodist Church in Manchester.
Walker died June 5 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, after his unit was hit by enemy fire. KSDK-TV reports his body arrived in St. Louis on Saturday.
Gov. Jay Nixon has ordered that flags across the state be flown at half-staff Monday in Walker’s honor.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Krewson For Mayor Opens Campaign Headquarters
- Mistrial in Former Pine Lawn Police Officer’s Assault Case
- Big Beer Merger May Help Micro-Brewers
- Stop and Frisk Debate Resonates in St. Louis
- Doctor Concocts His Own Vaccines with Cat Saliva, State Says
- Discrimination Against Nixon Delayed as More Cases Surface