What Are the Safest States to Live In?
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - With June being National Safety Month, a new study takes a look at the safest states to live in the U.S.
How did Missouri and Illinois fare?
A personal finance social media website, WalletHub.com, compared each of the 50 U.S. states and Washington DC on 26 key metrics, and found Illinois to be the 8th safest state in the nation.
Missouri came in sixth from the bottom, at number 46. Wallet Hub CEO Odysseas Papadimitriou says Missouri failed big time on Home and Community Safety measures.
“The number of murders, the number of assaults on a per capita basis, theft, rapes, drug abuse, suicide rate, bulling instances at the school level,” he says.
Illinois ranked number 13 in financial safety, number 5 in driving safety, and number 17 in workplace safety.
Missouri did best on workplace safety, at number 7.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Cyclist Says He Was Run Off the Road By Sunset Hills Mayor
- Protesters Mass Outside Obama Appearance
- Animal Control: Dog Thrown From Vehicle on Highway
- Gov. Pat Quinn Open to Helping Out Children Who Fled Central America
- Archaeologists in Bloomington Discover a Bit of Local History Tied to Honest Abe
- Chinese Lantern Festival to Return to Missouri Botanical Garden