ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – Some local hospitals see a big increase in Emergency Room visits, now that the Affordable Care Act, or ObamaCare, is underway.
Officials with St. Anthony’s Medical Center say they saw record patient volumes in their Emergency Department in March, April and May.
Saint Louis University Hospital has seen the same trend. Hospital president Phil Sowa says ER visits are up 12 percent, and admissions out of the ER are up 21 percent over last year.
“I think with the Affordable Care Act, people now have insurance, so they’re coming into the emergency room,” Sowa says.
Both hospitals, though, say the increase is also due in part to other issues, such as an Emergency Department redesign at St. Anthony’s and more attention paid to some sub-speciality areas at St. Louis University Hospital like cardiac care and oncology.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE HEALTH NEWS:
- Health Check-Up: Sports Injuries, Physicians and Healing
- Health Check-Up: Sports, Sleep Habits and Preschoolers
- New Research: Drivers Need to Get More Sleep
- Wash U Researchers Creating Powdered Artificial Blood Cells
- Health Check-Up: Magic Mushrooms, More Zika and Insomnia
- Health Check-Up: Kidney Cancer, Heart Disease, and Euthanizations