VATICAN CITY (KMOX) – The Vatican has announced Pope Francis has cancelled all of his public appearances in July, prompting new papal health rumors.
This announcement comes in the wake of the 77-year-old Pope cancelling two days of meetings last week. Vatican officials say there is no sickness whatsoever.
Veteran Vatican correspondent Jonathan Allen on CNN says Pope Francis isn’t taking the Pope’s normal vacation in August. Instead, he will stay on the job, spending part of the month at the Vatican and part on a grueling trip to South Korea.
“He’s been keeping up a schedule that would run any of us into the ground, let alone a 77-year-old man, and I think, quite frankly, he just needs some downtime,” Allen says.
Allen says the most likely scenario is the Vatican simply trying to get an exhausted Pope Francis to take a break.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- New Measure Seeks to Put Cap on Campaign Contributions
- New Recommendations to Help Parents Prevent SIDS
- Public Forum Comes to St. Louis City Ahead of November Election
- New Finding Gives Some Children More “Screen Time”
- Missouri Says Reporter Doesn’t Have Right To See Executions
- Syrian Refugees Afraid of North St. Louis