PrideFest 2014: City Lights Up in Rainbow, Michael Sam Not Attending
Get Breaking News First
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - Have you noticed the rainbow lighting on the Civil Courts Building?
It’s all lit up leading up to PrideFest, which is this weekend in Downtown St. Louis.
Festivities start Saturday at 11 a.m.
“Sunday we kind of kick off all of our festival activities with a parade starting at 11:00 a.m.,” says Matt Harper, president of Pride St. Louis. “It’s the Wells Fargo Grand Parade—one of the biggest parades in the city of St. Louis. I think the only one that outnumbers us participant-wise is the Mardi Gras parade, which is kind of fabulous for us.”
Harper is expecting 90,000 to come downtown for the parade alone, and 150,000 for the festival.
One person who got a special invitation will not be able to attend—Michael Sam, the first openly gay player in the NFL.
“I know our organization immediately got on the phone after we heard he was signed to the Rams and spoke with his publicist and he did inform us that we would be the only Pride Festival he would attend if he were going to attend one,” Harper says. “However, when we started talking about dates, he is unfortunately out of town at a wedding.”
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- Ferguson Store Owners: Customers ‘Too Scared’ to Bring Business to the Area
- Holder: Sources Leaking Information from Grand Jury Investigation ‘Need to Shut Up’
- McCulloch: ‘No Information or Evidence Has Been Released by the Grand Jury’
- Report: Darren Wilson Expected to be ‘Eased Out’ of Police Department
- Police Officers’ Wives Collect Food for Ferguson Duty
- Sexual Predator on the Run