Plane Crashes in Maryland Heights
MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. (KMOX) – One person was taken to the hospital after a small airplane crashed and burned alongside Page Avenue in Maryland Heights.
It happened next to Creve Coeur Airport, just east of the Discovery Bridge.
Maryland Heights Police Chief Bill Carson says the plane took off from Creve Coeur airport around 4:45 a.m., then reported cargo door issues.
As the pilot tried to make it back to the airport, either one or both of his engines failed.
The plane touched down in the field, crossed a bike path, then took down power lines and slammed into the trees on the side of Page Ave.
Pattonville Fire Chief Dave Doston says the call came in from a passing motorist.
“Shortly after that, the pilot contacted 911 by his own cell phone and reported that his plane had crashed,” Dotson says. “He was the only person in the plane, and he got out of the plane safely.”
Motorist Bill Jennings was stuck in the back-up on eastbound Page, which was completely shut down.
“Four lanes were blocked off of [Missouri] 364, firetrucks went past me, and there was a ton of smoking pouring out just off of the highway,” he says.
Westbound lanes of Page have been re-opened to traffic.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS:
- 78 Animals Rescued from Deplorable Conditions in Wright City
- Missouri Man Faces Execution for Raping, Killing 15-Year-Old
- Missouri Governor’s Son Cited for Driving While Intoxicated
- St. Louis, Wells Fargo, Beyond Housing and Neighbor Works America Join Forces for Home Ownership
- Autopsy Set in Swansea Stabbing That Left Woman Dead
- County Executive Sends EPA a Letter for Landfill Plans