Spurned Man Throws Dog out Third-Story Window
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) - Springfield police say a man who was spurned by a woman broke into her apartment and threw her small dog to its death from a third-story window.
Twenty-three-year-old William Rabourn was charged this week with felony burglary and felony stealing an animal. Prosecutors are seeking to add a misdemeanor animal abuse charge. In Missouri, animal abuse is a misdemeanor on a first offense, unless the animal is tortured or mutilated.
Police says the dog’s owner spurned Rabourn’s advances Saturday night while they were on a party bus.
A witness told police she saw Rabourn break into the woman’s apartment, and then throw the 8-month-old Maltese-poodle mix named Oliver out of a window.
The Springfield News-Leader reports Rabourn posted bond of $15,000 and was released from jail Tuesday.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- Juvenile Detained in Missouri Kidnapping Case
- Two Charged After Police Chase in Florissant
- Federal Trial Postponed in Illinois Needles-in-Meat Case
- Digging for History at Site of Burned-Out Boutique
- Dotson’s Plan for Highway Patrol Brings Mixed Reactions from City Hall
- Melee at St. Louis City Hall During Hearing on Police Oversight Board