Spurned Man Throws Dog out Third-Story Window
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) – Springfield police say a man who was spurned by a woman broke into her apartment and threw her small dog to its death from a third-story window.
Twenty-three-year-old William Rabourn was charged this week with felony burglary and felony stealing an animal. Prosecutors are seeking to add a misdemeanor animal abuse charge. In Missouri, animal abuse is a misdemeanor on a first offense, unless the animal is tortured or mutilated.
Police says the dog’s owner spurned Rabourn’s advances Saturday night while they were on a party bus.
A witness told police she saw Rabourn break into the woman’s apartment, and then throw the 8-month-old Maltese-poodle mix named Oliver out of a window.
The Springfield News-Leader reports Rabourn posted bond of $15,000 and was released from jail Tuesday.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE CRIME NEWS:
- St. Louis County Unveils Online Interactive Budget to Public
- Man Accused of Using $476K in Employer’s Funds for Strippers
- UMSL Criminologist: Half of STL Murders Concentrated In North City
- Local Artist Sells T-Shirts: ‘Shoot Your Local Heroin Dealer’
- Woman Admits Making Up Story About Shooting
- Man Shot After Driving at Police Gets 5 Years in Prison